Forgot my o2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonracer67

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch of Zombie Dust, hit a 1.072 OG first time fly sparging, was impressed. Went to hit it with o2 and my tank was empty. Tractor Supply is closed. Would it hurt to get a new tank tomorrow and hit it then?

Yeast is re hydrated US05

I've never aerated my wort and I've had much higher OGs. Always ferments just fine with no off-flavors from "stressed yeast".

Hull thesis shed the light on me and I just use a few milligrams of olive oil in my starter instead of aerating.

Olive oil? Sorry for the dumb question but what does that do?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would just do my best to shake it to try and aerate it. Dry yeast supposedly doesn't rely on oxygen as much because it has been packaged with the nutrients it needs to form cell walls. At 1.072, you might be pushing it though so I would try to do something to introduce some O2, even if it's not as good as using pure O2.

Didn't use a starter I used US-05, so olive oil is out-any other ideas? Just did some searching and on real high gravity beers like Imperials people sometimes hit it with O2 halfway thru fermentation. I'll probably try it tomorrow

You can still use a drop of olive oil. I would just shake the ever-loving crap out of it. Seriously, you are using dry yeast so you will get enough O2 by shaking.

Emphasis on a drop. Take a needle, take a lighter to it, dip it in the olive oil, then dip the needle in your yeast starter/rehydration. Milligrams only. I use about 8mg for a 1.065 5 gallon batch 1.5L starter.

Do you have more than one fermentation vessel? Pour it back and forth a couple times.

Most regular hardware stores would carry the small bottles of O2 and would be open on Sundays.

If your only option is to wait till tomorrow, I would skip O2. You want to do it before you pitch the yeast so unless you also hold off on the yeast, I would skip it.

Pitched the yeast already, I guess I'll see what happens. BTW after I cool the batch with my wort chiller I pour it in the fermenter thru a grain bag to get all the hot break and hops out. It gets alot of agitation that way.

Back