Forgot an important step....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I transferred my JAOM to secondary earlier today. Started it back in March. It fermented beautifully and is crystal clear. Flavor is outstanding, even at this young age.

I was just admiring the head on a pint of Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale I poured when it dawned on me that I never sanitized the secondary for the JAOM. I had cleaned it several days before but the carboy has sat unplugged in my garage since. Maybe 4 days.

As soon as I realized this I put the carboy in my fridge to cold crash and maybe slow down any nasties that are present.

Now we play the waiting game....

You should probably be ok -- the alcohol present will take care of most baddies. Your biggest worry are going to be acetobacters, which I understand aren't super common in garages.

Thanks for the input. I figured it might be ok because of the alcohol but added sulfite just to be sure.

We shall see.

Thanx again.

Just as a follow up....

I kegged this last week (moving soon and don't want to move bottles) and set it at 10psi, let it clear, pulled my first glass 4 days later.

WOW. Is all I can say. Crystal clear and smells sooo delicious. Really cold it is great but the bitter from the orange rind is substantial. As it warms the sweet comes forward and blends nicely.

I will be making this again once we are moved in. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back