Forgot a bunch of hops in Hop Stand!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
I wanted to kick myself yesterday! I'm brewing a big DIPA that I was very excited about, and my recipe included a big hop addition at five minutes, followed by a big addition after I cooled it to 180. I was then going to do a hop stand for 30 minutes.

I hit my five minute addition of 1.25 oz each Simcoe, Mosaic, and Citra. I measured out another .5 oz each of those and put them in a bowl to use in the hop stand with another ounce of each. I then got distracted for a minute by some friends we had over, and when my timer went off, I cooled to 180 and tossed the hops in the bowl into the wort, and held it there for 30 minutes. Well, after I cooled and pitched the yeast, I realized I forgot to add the other three ounces of Citra, Simcoe, and Mosaic to the hop stand! So I only did my hop stand with an ounce and a half of hops.

So here was my solution, and I just want to know if this will get back some of that flavor and aroma I missed on the hop stand. I took about two cups of water. I added 5oz of corn sugar (Which I also forgot to add to the boil:mad:) and added the three oz of hops. I brought it to a boil, then killed the heat and let it steep for about 10 minutes. I then tossed the hop/sugar/water mixture into the fermentor.

Will what I did make up for any of the hop goodness I forgot to add to my hopstand?

Yes, that will impart some bitterness, flavor, and aroma. Hopefully it wasn't near-boiling temperature for the duration of the steep if you are hoping to gain some aroma. I probably wouldn't have tossed the hop sludge into the fermenter, but that's just me.

Yes, that will impart some bitterness, flavor, and aroma. Hopefully it wasn't near-boiling temperature for the duration of the steep if you are hoping to gain some aroma. I probably wouldn't have tossed the hop sludge into the fermenter, but that's just me.

I added a bit of cold water to cool it some, but this batch is getting a pretty serious dry hop, so hopefully aroma won't be lacking. I normally filter out hop sludge, but I'm hoping that by adding it hot into the fermentor, maybe more of the oils will still soak into the beer. I have no idea if there's any science to back that up, just hoping! I'm also using a keg as a secondary, so it'll only be on the hop sludge for a week

Back