Forget to dump StarSan from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
Real bone-head move last night. Ended up tossing ~2gallons after realizing what I had done midway through the rack.

I briefly thought about just rolling with it and hoping the ~1G of sanitizer didn't ruin it, but decided I would rather have 3G of risk free beer than putting the full 5G at risk.

Figured this amount was a little bit more volume than what they had in mind, when calling StarSan "No-Rinse".

Anyone else forgotten to empty StarSan out of a corny prior to racking?

I think you made the right call. I wouldn't want to drink beer flavored StarSan! Haven't done that yet!

There are may threads here with this happening to varying degrees. None that I recall quite as drastic as your example. Had it been a quart or less you probably would have been OK depending on the beers strength, as others have sucked back cold crashing this amount or less and ended up OK. You did the right thing IMO. Even if by chance it did not impart a horrid flavor it would have watered it down so much as to render it probably not at all enjoyable.
A bird in the hand is better then 2 in the bush...as they say.

Back