Forcing water through pump while off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
I picked up a second pump to allow me to set my mash and kettle on the same tier (fell off a ladder. ouch.).

I'm doing some layout diagrams to figure out my new flow. I figured I could also save some water by recirculating cold water from a second cooler. Bonus, I could potentially use it as an HLT. (cold/hot liquor tank = C/HLT?)

Ideally, I'd like to capture some hot water from the heat exchanger output before closing the system and using the pump. Once I have enough water in my mash cooler, I would move the hose to the input on the C/HLT and the input to the HEX to the spigot. Then I'd add ice as neccessary to keep the water cool.

Is there any risk in opening the pump valve with the pump off and letting my household hose push water through it? Or is this not advised?

The pump it looks like I'd be using for water is my Little Giant 3-MD.

chilling.jpg

It would look something like this.

I'm a little cloudy, but you want to initially fill the the HLT with tap water that has been heated by going through your chiller then you want to cool the water with ice and chill with that?

Before I comment further I'd like to understand your exact goal.

On to your question, depending on the exact size of the impeller and bell housing you should be able to push water through the pump. It will be quite a restriction, but it should work.

jhoyda said:
I'm a little cloudy, but you want to initially fill the the HLT with tap water that has been heated by going through your chiller then you want to cool the water with ice and chill with that?

Before I comment further I'd like to understand your exact goal.

On to your question, depending on the exact size of the impeller and bell housing you should be able to push water through the pump. It will be quite a restriction, but it should work.

I can see I'm being unnecessarily complicated here. But that how I roll.

I want to run water, from my hose, though the heat exchanger as depicted. I figure I won't need the pump if the hose is supplying it because of hose pressure. The hot exhaust water would go into the mash tun cooler, to clean it out. Part way through chilling, I want to disconnect the inlet from the faucet and put it on a valve on a second (7 gallon) cooler. Simultaneously, I would move the heat exchanger outlet to fill that same cooler. Now, I can have a closed system of water to go through the heat exchanger, thereby reducing the waste water going into my grass. Bit i need a way to "push" the water through. To keep "rechilling" the waste water, I would add ice to the cooler as needed.

My goals are 1) reduce the amount of waste water I swamp my back yard with and 2) justify the purchase of a second cooler, which I just saw in sale. ;)

Once I no longer have water pressure pushing water through the system, I will need the pump.. My question is whether the pump can be passively inline while I'm using hose pressure or if that would damage the pump; having water forced through it while it was turned off.

At least you have recognized your problem with complication. You won't hurt the pump by putting water through it. Depending on the internal design it might not be able to flow as much water as you like. There are several simple solutions, 1 turn the pump on, 2 add a bypass, 3 add a hose to the exit of your chiller and run down the drain.

I bet you pick #3 after you realize how much ice you'll have to carry.

It will be interesting to see what happens when trying to force water through a mag pump. For these pumps to be very effective the clearances must be pretty tight, so if the impeller doesn't decouple I would expect the flow to be really weak verging on a dribble...

Cheers!

I suggest installing a bypass. I broke the impellers in several Danner mag drive aquarium pumps by running house pressure water backwards through them. I don't know how my Danners compare to your little giant but I say why risk it?

Duly noted. :)

I'm using hoses, so I could probably rig up a male to male quick disconnect segment to join the two hoses together, then disconnect and put the pump inline.

Have to think about this.

I force water through my March pump without a 2nd thought. It's going through a lot of other stuff too so the flow is reduced, but adding the pump in line doesn't seem to add too much restriction. The impeller is only held by a magnet so I'm sure water pressure easily spins it.

Little Giant pump is a little different internally. I think the impeller is actually direct-driven. I do want to replace it eventually.

I'm sort of embarassed the solution didt come to me more quickly.

chilling2.jpg

I pump water in both directions through my chugger and march pumps for cleaning purposes with no problems. I will often hook the outlet of one pump to the outlet of another (leaving the 2nd pump off) and back flush...then I reverse it and backflush the other pump. I'm sure you can do what you're looking to do, but using Ice to prevent water waste is wasting other kinds of resources (electricity/compressor wear if you're making it yourself, money if you're buying it).

mpcluever said:
I know LG has direct drive pumps, but I would not choose one of those for brewing.

Actually, not sure what I was thinking. It's a 3-MD. So "mag drive" but there is a spindle in there that goes through the housing. It's been a while since I opened it up.

I guess the only thing to do is try it.

Back