Force carbonation with March Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
I was looking at a Blichmann Quickcarb the other day and comparing its function to a soda machine carbonator. Assuming you've got a carbonator lid with stone or have somehow otherwise plumbed an auxiliary CO2 connection into the lid to provide continuous pressurized CO2 in the headspace, couldn't you just cycle beer with a pump from the beer out port to the normal gas-in port and simulate "shaking the keg"? The March 809 has a maximum pressure of 50PSI, so you'd need to be cognizant of that limit, but even room temperature beer shouldn't need pressure that high.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has attempted a DIY quick carb setup.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has attempted a DIY quick carb setup.

They absolutely have. You can buy 12V diaphragm pumps for around $20 shipped, and run an NPT threaded carbonation stone in a stainless tee fitting. Mount it all on a cheap cutting board. Total cost is under $100.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/diy-quick-carb.648657/

I was just thinking there might not be any need for the inline carbonation stone. If you've got an appropriate head space pressure of CO2 and are splashing the beer, it will absorb the CO2. That's how the soda machine makes carbonated water on demand. :)

Back