Force Carbonation PSI, Serving PSI, Line length, compressor cycling, temperature sett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Chad

Reaction score
I just built a Keezer and I am trying to determine line length. Previously I had a pick-neck spout that I had 5 feet and I used around 10 PSI at 38 degrees, but it had more head than I liked even when turning the pressure down to serve. I have read 10 ft but I also read to use this equation

http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/07/14/keg-line-length-balancing-the-science-of-draft-beer/

And I also noticed there is an equation for pressure

https://www.kegworks.com/blog/determine-right-pressure-for-your-draft-beer-system

Then there is this chart for force carbonation

http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator

So I am trying to understand and have confused myself here is my question. Is the slow force carbonation pressure the same as the serving pressure? Should I use the equation to determine line length or just buy 10 feet? Your knowledge is appreciated cause I want perfect pours.

Next question: here is my compressor cycling testing and temperature fluctuation data. No kegs in the Keezer. Normal?

Cycles on at 40.8 for 2 min
Cycles off at 39
Cools down to 36.3 no compressor before rising
Compressor comes on at 40.8 degrees at 31 min

Set at 39.0 degrees

Lastly, what do you guys set your temperature dial at on the Keezer? I have some dots then 1 - 9 on my setting. Currently it's on 1.

Thanks for any help you might provide.

It can be a little confusing, but carb-ing pressure and serving pressure can be the same or different, depending on how you want to set up your system.

If you are setting your kegerator/keezer to 39°, it may be easiest to just carbonate at that temp. To keep it simple, just use this calculator. If you go by this carb chart, you can just set your kegs to 12 psi at 39° and let them sit for a couple weeks, then hook them to the tap and let 'em rip.

I can really speak to the cycles on/off/etc, but I'd just say to invest in a temp controller like this one and set your freezer to the lowest setting. There are tons of other options for temp controllers though, so google away.

Good luck!

Afro_lou,

Thanks man. I got a
Docooler[emoji768] Digital Temperature Controller Thermocouple with Sensor (-58~194°F) 10A 110V from Amazon. I like the idea of 12 PSI and then letting 'em rip. Any ideas on the line length in that situation?

Here's the build thus far if more information is needed.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=598654

Great looking build!

To really dial it in, plug in all or your numbers/measurements into the keg line calculator I linked, and it will give you exactly how much tubing you'll need.

Glad I could help! That seems to be the most comprehensive and simplest to use calculator out there.

Cheers!

Cycling time of the fridge has no bearing on kegging unless your just curious buts its way overthinking it. I force carb every batch then drop to serving pressure and never had an issue. Otherwise just set it to serving pressure and forget about it for a week or two. I'm always out of beer and have no patience for waiting. Get flow control taps and forget about balancing line headaches. They'll be your best kegging investment and give you perfect pours every time.

Jonnyrotten,

Yea I'm definitely over thinking it, but it comes with the territory for me. I just don't want to burn out the compressor with over cycling. I'm going to look into those flow control taps you speak of. Thanks.

Jonnyrotten,

Yea I'm definitely over thinking it, but it comes with the territory for me. I just don't want to burn out the compressor with over cycling. I'm going to look into those flow control taps you speak of. Thanks.
I have my controller set to a 4 deg swing with the probe just hanging and not attached to the keg. Its been working for years. Aside from buying a quality fridge and keeping it full to balance the temps like a regular fridge I don't see how theres anything else you can do to prolong the life of the fridge besides normal dusting

10-11 foot lengths of 3/16 inch inside diameter tubing, will give you good pours ranging from 10-15 psi, as long as your beer is not over carbonated and your beer out post, connector, lines and taps are clean.

I did use the calculator afro-lou put up and it said I needed 10 foot of 3/16 just like screwybrewer suggested I took a pour and it looked real good.

Back