Force carb vs natural carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
I want to do a nice sized RIS that I can put some age on. I was wondering what the best method of carbonation is for long term storage. Is force carbing in a keg then bottling ok or should I natural carb with priming sugar in the keg then bottle?

I know guys who bottle half and keg the remaining. The longer it sits the better it will get.

You seem to pass the beer via a keg no matter whether you primer or force carbonate. Why don't you skip the keg entirely and prime directly in the bottle? It's quite a big beer to keg and I'd rather bottle and keep the keg free for smaller beers. Unless you have quite a few spare kegs, that is.

Yes, I agree with JKaranka, skip the keg and just bottle condition. A big RIS will thank you later on.

Btw, just remember to store / condition the bottles in a warm enough room so that they carbonate. They might take a couple of months depending on the strength of the beer. It also rounds the flavours faster than keeping them in a cold place.

I've bottle conditioned most of my brewing life, I know the ins and outs. The question hasnt been answered, I'm talking in terms of long term conditioning. Force carb or natural carb.

As soon as the beer is at FG

Keg it in your usual manner and carbonate it.

~35F Beer 36 hours at 30 psi and then to serving pressure till it's at the level you want. This will take a total of 2-5 days I would guess.

Once it's carbonated to your liking, unhook and place somewhere warmer (cellaring temps ideally) to condition.

Now you can sample it over time as it ages. This is what I would do for a big beer that required some time to mellow. The beer is safely stored in a SS CO2 pressurized light impenetrable container ideal for long term storage/aging wherever you want.

Even ales can cold condition so it is not absolutely required to place the keg outside of your fridge. A good option if space is limited.

The source of the CO2 in the beer doesn't matter a damn to the aging process.

As soon as the beer is at FG

Keg it in your usual manner and carbonate it.

~35F Beer 36 hours at 30 psi and then to serving pressure till it's at the level you want. This will take a total of 2-5 days I would guess.

Once it's carbonated to your liking, unhook and place somewhere warmer (cellaring temps ideally) to condition.

Now you can sample it over time as it ages. This is what I would do for a big beer that required some time to mellow. The beer is safely stored in a SS CO2 pressurized light impenetrable container ideal for long term storage/aging wherever you want.

Even ales can cold condition so it is not absolutely required to place the keg outside of your fridge. A good option if space is limited.

The source of the CO2 in the beer doesn't matter a damn to the aging process.

Thank you!

I've bottle conditioned most of my brewing life, I know the ins and outs. The question hasnt been answered, I'm talking in terms of long term conditioning. Force carb or natural carb.

I submitted that as an xbmt suggestion to Brulosophy months back. I'd veer towards natural carb in bottle with a healthy amount of yeast giving some secondary fermentation aromas. The difference is going to be minimal, but it's a lot less hassle than having to do anything with a keg as well.

I bottle condition all big beers.

Your question is about kegging. For a big beer I would sugar prime, then purge headspace a few times with CO2 and set the seals with 15-20 psi. Disconnect and let 'er sit somewhere warm for 4-5 weeks. Then cellar it for 3-6 months.

Back