For less sour - add bugs after primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispyvelo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've brewed a couple sours with decent success over the last couple years. Usually, my process is to throw everything in right at the start of primary (sacch, any bugs I'm using, bottle dregs). My one complaint with my sour beers thus far is that they may be a bit too acidic...verging on the line of slightly "too" sour. I haven't measured the PH, but I think I'd like my next sour beer to be more balanced.

QUESTION - would the level of acidity change significantly if I were to wait until after primary fermentation, then add the bugs? I suspect that will help, since the critters will have less to eat.

Your thoughts would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

You will see a different flavor profile with Brett in secondary fermentation. You can see yet another profile by pitching Brett in primary. It's hard to answer your question as asked.

Can you describe the acidic flavor in more detail? Cider, citrus, vinegar? Is it more acidic than a lambic? What style did you shoot for?

You will see a different flavor profile with Brett in secondary fermentation. You can see yet another profile by pitching Brett in primary. It's hard to answer your question as asked.

Can you describe the acidic flavor in more detail? Cider, citrus, vinegar? Is it more acidic than a lambic? What style did you shoot for?

Thanks for getting back to me. Each sour I've done seems like the lacto took off strong and gained a lot of strength over time. Tart like lemonade. It still tastes good, but it seems like it would be a little better if there was more Brett character and less sour acidity. The first few sips definitely make you pucker like lemonade....where your jaw under your ears kinda hurts :)

You could bump up the ibu's a touch to keep the lacto at bay. Brett C should give you some fruity citrus or pineapple and brux some leather and or cherry pie. I tend to like my sours with a faint lacto character.

Can you control it with temperature, or initial cell counts, maybe selection of yeast which would keep a better balance with Killer enzymes. Maybe a faster fermenting species that produces alcohol faster/tolerate higher alcohol concentrations would control the balance?

I started my first sour this weekend so I am curious, I'm afraid of the super sour beer myself, but I figure the probiotics are worth trying to dial it in even if I end up with a couple sour batches :)

Back