For Extract: Grain steeping bags for hops? Help appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin1988

Reaction score
So for my second extract batch we bought a nylon straining bag to steep the grains with, and we were almost done steeping before we realized that we didn't have a clue where we were gonna put the hops (we were out of muslin bags). We had read that you can put them in the boil straight up, but then we got concerned about straining them out in order to keep them out of the fermenter. So after a few moments of deliberation we decided to wash out the grain steeping bag as best we could while the wort was brought to a boil. After we did that and the wort was boiling, we just added the hops by placing them in the ol' grain bag and dipping them a couple of times.

Anyway, it seemed to work decently fine, but what we were concerned about is after all was said and done our grain bag was stained with the greenish tint from the hops. We washed it thoroughly with bleach and boiling water and all sorts of things, but there is still a slight yellow-green stain.

I don't mind the color, but I am wondering if it is a bad idea to use that bag for steeping grains in the future or what.. Should we just buy another one and chunk that one, or keep that one for hop usage only, or will that continue to transfer flavor on to other styles of beer. Should we just buy a bunch of muslin bags to use for the hops or what is to be done?

Suggestions?

Does it still smell like hops? I'm guessing it doesn't. Should be fine.

You know you can use paint strainer bags that are dirt cheap anywhere paint is sold, right?

I saved the muslin grain sack from a BB kit to use for raw hos,as they take up a lot more volume than pellets for the same weight. To clean them,I boil some water in a sauce pan whikle rinsing the grainy leafy bits off them inside out. Then add the grain & hop sacks for 10-15 minutes to boil. Ring them out & place them in a tight lidded tupperware container just big enough to fit them. Cover with PBW solution,seal & leave to soak for a week or so. You can see the color being soaked out of them as it happens. When they look white,remove,rinse,& hang up to dry. Then I store them in zip lock freezer bags wit the air pressed out in my FV stand.

Why didn't you just dump the hops in? You could then strain everything after it was cooled if you wanted too.

I'd toss the bag out personally. $2 is all they cost at worst. Not worth the time to clean personally.

I don't use a hops bag, and I don't strain out my hops unless I have a ton that will clog my pump. They won't hurt anything, but they can always be bagged or strained out if wanted.

Keep in mind that if you do use hops bags, to make sure the hops are very lose in the bag and not packed in tightly. If they don't fit loosely, use two (or more) bags so that the wort can fully permeate and contact the hops during the entire time they are in the boil. Having them confined and restricted will interfere with hops utilization, but in a bag loosely they will be fine.

The grainbags can be stained- that's fine. I have mesh types (like those paint strainers already mentioned) and they go right in the washing machine after using. As long as they are clean, they are fine to use.

I think they're worth the time to clean since everything is already on hand to do so. Just costs a little time on my part. They boil & soak by themselves. So not much effort to save a decent amount of money over time not having to constantly buy new ones.

So after a few moments of deliberation we decided to wash out the grain steeping bag as best we could while the wort was brought to a boil. After we did that and the wort was boiling, we just added the hops by placing them in the ol' grain bag and dipping them a couple of times.

What do you mean you dipped the hops a couple of times? Did the hops boil for 60 minutes, or at least 15 minutes?

It's important for the hops to be in contact with the boil to extact the correct amount of bitterness, flavor, and aroma.

Yeah, I couldn't understand that part.. Dipped them in? Like a tea bag for a little while? I would assume the hop pellets would fall apart and leave a sludge packed in the bag, but I've never bagged my hops. I just throw them in loose all the time.

Back