Foot switch for brew pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the cheap ones from harbor freight that are under 15 each. I get the kind that stay matched on or off (they also have a momentary on version).

I put mine in a stand I made that is similar to a pedal stand for guitar pedals. Works great..

You wouldn't want that Temco switch unless you're prepared to stand on it the whole time you want your pump to run as that model is a "momentary" switch. The Harbor Freight version is a "sustained" switch - like a lamp switch, you click it on and off and don't have to stand on it...

Cheers!

Just to muddy your waters a bit....

I wired a couple of outlets controlled by switches to control my pumps (labeled LEFT and RIGHT as to their location). Why? The switch on my Riptide isn't, IMO, all that convenient especially when I'm in a hurry, and the MkII pump doesn't have a switch at all. I could have run both through my control panel for electric brewing, but that panel's location is on the wall behind the bench, not fast access.

Those outlets are plugged into a GFCI circuit so they're protected.

So, if you have basic wiring skills and a place to put the switches and controlled outlets, this is another way to do it. I get enough water (and occasionally wort) spilled on my floor that I wouldn't want an unsealed foot switch there, GFCI or not.

A few pics below; hope you find the application that works best for you.

brewsetuppumpswitches.jpg brewsetuphosesRIMS.jpg pumpswitches.jpg

Not to change your direction, just to add something you might want to consider. I control my brew pump and the grain mill motor with separate remote control outlets similar to this

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...trol-outlet/32555/p-1513154675322-c-12683.htm

Whats nice about them is they have a long range to control the On Off, you don’t have to be next to the pump or grain mill. They are cheaper at Xmas time, also you have to remember to keep the controller handy :)

Last edited:
Not to change your direction, just to add something you might want to consider. I control my brew pump and the grain mill motor with separate remote control outlets similar to this

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...trol-outlet/32555/p-1513154675322-c-12683.htm

Whats nice about them is they have a long range to control the On Off, you don’t have to be next to the pump or grain mill. They are cheaper at Xmas time, also you have to remember to keep the controller handy :)

I also use that one for my re-circulation pump. Works very well.

I use a wifi enabled smart switch to control mine. It has three outlets and you can control it with an Amazon Echo. I just say "Alexa, turn on pump one" and it turns on.

I also use the echo for timers ("Alexa, set a mash timer for 60 minutes" or "Alexa, set an add-ten-minutes-hops timer for 50 minutes".). It's an echo show so it shows the timers and remaining time. I also use it to play music while I'm brewing.

I use a wifi enabled smart switch to control mine. It has three outlets and you can control it with an Amazon Echo. I just say "Alexa, turn on pump one" and it turns on.

I also use the echo for timers ("Alexa, set a mash timer for 60 minutes" or "Alexa, set an add-ten-minutes-hops timer for 50 minutes".). It's an echo show so it shows the timers and remaining time. I also use it to play music while I'm brewing.

One of these days you'll come home and discover that Alexa has been given so much AI that it can now do a brew day on its own....and you won't like the recipe!

This is EXACTLY the kind of genius I come the HBT for!. I'm only two brews into using a pump and I've moved my switch once already and I'm still not happy with it. I did not know that these switches existed and can be a solution to my problem.

Thanks anonymous brewers on HBT

I found a foot switch to be kind of limiting. I run mine by a remote.

Fosmon C-10683 Wireless Remote... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9DGRL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I keep the remote on a carabiner on my belt loop so I don't have to walk over and step. Dirt cheap and water resistant.

This is perfect for my keg washer. I hate plugging and unplugging that thing to turn it on and off, and a remote switch would be perfect. I do a bunch of kegs at the same time, so this would be ideal.

All good stuff! I have the wireless switch but I just like a foot pedal since I am not 100% automated and using my hands a lot during transfers and recirc. I am going with foot pedal and will put a big clear plastic bag over it and on a GFCI for safety. I do like the Google/Alexa idea but not immediate enough for me when pumps starts sucking air OR frickin Alexa decides to have selective listening abilities. [emoji34]

So update on the Harbor Freight foot pedal. It is temp power only when pushing the pedal. Don't know if it has changed or if it's just different from store to store. That changes it for me. Going to the wireless button switch.

So update on the Harbor Freight foot pedal. It is temp power only when pushing the pedal. Don't know if it has changed or if it's just different from store to store. That changes it for me. Going to the wireless button switch.

You got the wrong part number. One is a momentary switch and the other a stay on. Correct item # is 96618. Box looks identical except for description on top and at least in my store they are all together. Easy to get the wrong one if not paying attention.

Last edited:
Damn, only saw one box. The remote control plug worked great cause I can put it right by me so I think I am sticking with that.

Latest posts

Back