Foods that freak out SWMBO (or HWMBO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I've done a lot of chatting here and elsewhere about how I emulate Andrew Zimmern. Part of this is because I love experiencing culture and history through food. Another part is me testing my boundaries.

And finally, one part is I enjoy torturing my long-suffering wife.

So here's the game. Name at least one food product that you genuinely enjoy consuming that your sig other either gives you the business for enjoying or straight up has to leave the room retching. This can be something off the beaten path or maybe you have a weird and unique combination (for example, turkey gravy on a frosted Sara Lee cake).

I have a few:

- Brazilian chicken hearts grilled with sea salt and lime juice
- Menudo
- Bone marrow (I crack chicken bones and go to town. The beloved hates this practice)
- Black and White pudding (Irish breakfast ftw!)

How about you?:tank:

Onions on anything and she will leave the room screaming. She's weird that way.

Chow Mein. I used to enjoy this as a kid once in a while. Her dad used to make it whenever their mother wasn't home and they hated it.

So now it's a rare treat for the rest of my family to reheat "chop suey" and pour over instant rice.

But she gets even by eating her rice with butter and sugar. NASTY!

(Disclaimer: I've never actually tried sugar sweetened rice, and I don't plan to either!)

Durian. Just kidding.

When my SWMBO met, she would only eat boneless, skinless chicken breast. Now, she generally only draws the line at strange ethnic foods prepared with questionable food safety. Pork fat tacos made in a shack near the Mexico City airport, for example. (shout out to Pepe!) They had 3 kinds - pork belly, pork fat, and both. I had one of each.

Picked up some dried crickets and larva this weekend. Me and my friend's kid were the only ones who ate any. And he only had a drive larva.

SWMBO hates crab because she's an arachnophobic, and it's just too damn close to a spider.

SWMBO is grossed out by the sounds I apparently make when I am eating pistacio nuts. Our upstairs and downstairs neighbors must wonder whats going on when they hear her shouting "No! James Please! Please! Stop eating nuts! Stop! You're still eating nuts!" followed by me cackling evilly.

Warm Limburger. Its tolerable cold or room temp, but my wife likes to *melt* it on her eggs. The heat seems to release an even greater stench than normal, and the house smells for DAYS. No exaggeration.

I told her she was welcome to eat it. On the porch.

Smoked oysters... heck anything from a can that resembles a tuna can, but the oysters are especially aromatic.

Had my first durian about a month ago. I dunno if they treated with something or not, but it didn't smell bad at all. Tasted like a fruity egg custard. Delicious.

Funny story; A few years ago I bought a small octopus at an asian wet market, thinking I'd grill like they do in Spain for the girlfriend and I. Well, it turned out the lady didn't kill the thing entirely and when I had swmbo take it out of the plastic bag later that night, it latched on to her hand. She started screaming, terror ensued, I laughed my butt off, and she spent the night at her sisters apartment. Heh, that relationship didn't last long after that. :eek:

She doesn't like my peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Comfort food for me.

On the other hand I retch at the thought of her beloved poi. Makes me think of what wall paper paste must taste like.

She hates it when I make spam musubi. It's just not the same without it though.

Also rice is pretty good with a syrup of rice wine vinegar and sugar on it.

Nothing really. I'm a chef so it's expected that I cook different than most people. As long as it tastes good in the end. I've regularly made people enjoy eating things they once hated, like onions, garlic, shrimp, mushrooms, cilantro, etc.

The one thing my gf's don't get is my fascination with beer... especially if they are not beer drinkers themselves.

I'm either labeled as 1) obsessed 2) alcoholic 3) nerd 4) a weirdo for drinking weird beers they've never heard of

I've never been able to gross out Bob with unusual foods, but I've tried. He watched me eat several things he wouldn't try, but he didn't really react. Raw conch, fresh from the ocean; chapulines; baby octopus; and so on- no reaction at all except maybe a wrinkled nose at most. He doesn't like raw oysters but he'll try one while I'm eating them.

Oh, there is one thing! Potato chips. He finds them absolutely disgusting, and about once a year I'll get a small bag and eat a few. He can't even be in the same room with me if I eat some.

He eats one thing that grosses me out, though- liver! I hate the smell. He loves it in all forms, from calf's liver to cod liver from a can. He eats this canned Norweigan cod liver that smells like rotten cat food only not quite as pleasant.

So am I to understand that there is at least one house in the UP that has forsook potato chips, cheese, and eggs?? Is that even LEGAL in the Midwest?? :ban:

I don't eat chicken liver because I love the flavor, but I just made a roast chicken and an accompanying stuffing (or forcemeat) that I made with chopped onion, mushroom, thyme and chopped parsley, crispy bacon, liver, heart, kidney, neck meat, chicken stock, butter, and a splash of sherry vinegar. It was great.

I don't eat chicken liver because I love the flavor, but I just made a roast chicken and an accompanying stuffing (or forcemeat) that I made with chopped onion, mushroom, crispy bacon, liver, heart, kidney, neck meat, chicken stock, butter, and a splash of sherry vinegar. It was great.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rockin:

An Ex girlfriend of mine (thank God she's gone) could tell if I ate onions with in 3 days. She was 100% accurate. It didn't matter if I had 45,678 cigars afterwords, a gallon of vinegar, brushed and flossed my teeth 45.6 times or drank cologne she could tell.
My GF now likes onions.

Hmmm... my GF and I are both pretty adventurous. There are certain mainstream things I won't eat, though:

Pickles. I love cucumbers, love pickled foods, but HATE pickles. Doesn't matter what type-- dill, sweet, whatever, I just can't do it.
Peanut butter and jelly. Again, each is fine on its own, but together, they make me wretch.
Liver and most other organ meats. Ugh! You can put it in haggis, or giblet stuffing, but that's where I draw the line. Liver tastes like eating a box of nails.

An Ex girlfriend of mine (thank God she's gone) could tell if I ate onions with in 3 days. She was 100% accurate. It didn't matter if I had 45,678 cigars afterwords, a gallon of vinegar, brushed and flossed my teeth 45.6 times or drank cologne she could tell.
My GF now likes onions.

That's because she wasn't tasting it from your mouth... ahem. :mug:

My wife's become pretty adventurous, to a point. No bugs, nothing still wriggling, and she still hates anything pickled/dill (worst Pollack ever)... just about anything else is fair game. Considering her parochial view of food when we met, I can't complain that I have to add capers to only my plate. Nothing she eats that I turn my nose up at, though.

fois gras
whole fish (eyes)
Squirrel
oysters, clams
blood sausage

Wow. Good job so far. There are a LOT of things listed that I had never even considered eating.

GF is definitely more adventurous than I when it comes to food. But the one thing that I've eaten so far that gets her is when I dunk my Chips Ahoy cookies in orange juice. Don't ask me how I discovered this, but I love it!

Hackepeter, traditionally pork, although we use beef that we grind ourselves: no fat, usually round steak.

Raw ground beef (NOT hamburger) on rye bread with a slice of raw onion, salt and pepper. YUM!

Hackepeter, traditionally pork, although we use beef that we grind ourselves: no fat, usually round steak.

Raw ground beef (NOT hamburger) on rye bread with a slice of raw onion, salt and pepper. YUM!

My grandpa use to eat those things just like you described it. He started liking them when he worked in butcher shop back in the 1920's.

she hates fishier seafoods and most types of pork. ( yes even bacon) She is not as crazy about game meat as I am, but curious enough to try most. Personally the only type of food I can really stand is organ meat of any type.

I eat venison and the 'friend isn't appreciative too much. Tenderloin in butter in a cast iron pan is to be revered, not hated. Oh well, at least she has an opinion. The ones that don't care are dangerous.

SWMBO is a huge healthy food eater, so basically anything I eat with salt, butter, or fried....she let's me hear it.

I did try haggis for the first time the other day and it wasn't that bad, and I grew up on wild game meat, eating turkey necks and chicken feet with grandma was common (back in the day)

SWMBO does enjoy oysters, which I hate, and I can't stand the texture of rice pudding or tapioca.

I can't stand the texture of rice pudding or tapioca.

Not trying to put your whole post out of context. The quote above is all I'm talking about.

Rice pudding (in High School; early 80's) was the cafeteria cooks go to and it was tasty sort of, good not great. Tapioca pudding - I think it was my grandma's favorite and she served it every time we had dinner at my grandparents' home.

I didn't particularly love either of these foods. I label them both as comfort food, I think that's the right phrase. Haven't had either one since I moved away from home, what? 30 years ago.

Zwiebelmett is one my families favorites. Hard to get others to try it.

I can easily eat 4 or 5 brotchen with Zwiebelmett in a single sitting. And that is probably a pound of Zwiebelmett, and 1/4 pound of onions.

My wife hates most German food. I love a good Reuben with a little bit of mustard, 1000 island, kraut, and shaved corned beef. She also doesn't like smokey flavors much at all (cheese, meat, beer).

On a sadder note, she only likes certain kinds of beer. I haven't found a dark beer she likes, she hates hoppy beers, many yeast esters, and any off flavors (which she is really good at detecting). She really likes Piraat and Magic Hat #9, and hates the smell of me brewing.

Brussel sprouts. If I get just a wiff of them I give an instant demonstration of projectile vomiting before I know whats happening.

Maybe for you, but I have no choice in the matter. My body reacts before I know whats happening. One woman thought I was lying until she got her kitchen plastered in an impromptu demonstration. This is something I don't joke about because it is a reaction that is almost instant and I have no control over it.

Back