Foods that freak out SWMBO (or HWMBO)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe for you, but I have no choice in the matter. My body reacts before I know whats happening. One woman thought I was lying until she got her kitchen plastered in an impromptu demonstration. This is something I don't joke about because it is a reaction that is almost instant and I have no control over it.

You'll want to avoid Half Moon Bay, California (just south of San Francisco). Wall to wall brussel sprout fields.

Does the same apply to other members of the cabbage family, or just brussels sprouts? I'm wondering if it is the sulfer compounds...

Just brussels sprouts. I even try turnip once or twice a year and still don't like them, the only two veggies I don't like.

SWMBO claims that the canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce I like to use "taste like armpits." This brings to mind not one but two questions I dont want answers to.

As for turnips, my grandmother used to make them mashed like potatoes with butter. I never liked them (one of maybe 10 things she's ever made that I dont emulate). Once I had stew with beef and mushrooms and turnips cooked in stout, however, I was hooked. clam, I dont know if you are a married man, but let me tell ya... if the wife has done something you are feeling passive aggressive about, eating said stew before bed is a way of getting back at her. In my house we call it the FP, the dreaded Fart Punishment.

I work with quite a few people from Africa, and they eat stuff like fermented fish, goat's head, bones, eyeballs, and teeth. I'm starting to enjoy the smell, actually. I've decided that I'm going to ask to taste any different foods they're eating. Other non-African staff freak out and make faces about the food, which must be very insulting.
I don't eat any offal, except liverwurst once in a great while.

I work with quite a few people from Africa, and they eat stuff like fermented fish, goat's head, bones, eyeballs, and teeth. I'm starting to enjoy the smell, actually. I've decided that I'm going to ask to taste any different foods they're eating. Other non-African staff freak out and make faces about the food, which must be very insulting.
I don't eat any offal, except liverwurst once in a great while.

The one thing that surprises me are teeth. What is edible on a tooth?

The one thing that surprises me are teeth. What is edible on a tooth?

I saw the guy eating part of the jawbone with teeth in it. I suppose if the bones are cooked long enough they get soft. Same guy ate the bone from a crockpot pork shoulder I'd cooked.

That coworker doesn't say too much about his homeland, but from what I've learned, there wasn't much food. I asked him about native wildlife and he laughed, then said that if you saw some food walking by, you'd chase it down and eat it. So no wildlife. Gives a bit of reality to the concept of "starving".

SWMBO hates anything cabbage and I love Kim Chee (my favorite hot dog topping). I also have a thing for organ meats, especially livers and hearts. My folks raised us on Scrapple and Head Cheese and a limberger, onion and liverwurst on rye is arguably one of my favorite sandwiches (I say arguably because there are so many).

I saw the guy eating part of the jawbone with teeth in it. I suppose if the bones are cooked long enough they get soft. Same guy ate the bone from a crockpot pork shoulder I'd cooked.

That coworker doesn't say too much about his homeland, but from what I've learned, there wasn't much food. I asked him about native wildlife and he laughed, then said that if you saw some food walking by, you'd chase it down and eat it. So no wildlife. Gives a bit of reality to the concept of "starving".

Indeed. I didnt know that the enamel on a tooth ever broke down, but that makes sense seeing as how bones that have been braised are so soft.

I have noticed a certain cultural reluctance against talking about food. My wife's coworker is from Ghana, and they are on friendly speaking terms. There is no language barrier. When she asked what was in a soup he brought in that smelled ridiculously good he would only say "its wonderful, my mother makes it too." Not sure why that would be.

I have noticed a certain cultural reluctance against talking about food. My wife's coworker is from Ghana, and they are on friendly speaking terms. There is no language barrier. When she asked what was in a soup he brought in that smelled ridiculously good he would only say "its wonderful, my mother makes it too." Not sure why that would be.

I think they've gotten so many bad reactions that they just don't want to get into the ingredients anymore.
Last week, coworker was eating chicken foot soup, but I didn't believe him until I saw it, because it smelled a lot like the fish. Maybe there's a common ingredient/seasoning.

During my time in China, I haven't held back at the dinner table. My wife wonders why she still kisses me after the things I've eaten. The chicken foot soup is common. You can actually get the feet cooked, covered in sauce and vacuum packed as a snack at train stations and convenience stores.

Definitely one dish I'd prefer never to have again is sea cucumber. I have had it twice, but once was too much. hands down my favorite dish here is a Hunan dish; large butterflied fish head cooked in a carpet of chili peppers. After the fish is picked over, you dump some noodles into the pan, place over a flame and heat it up again. I love it.

Sea cucumber has the texture of coagulated snot. It's like a beautifully dressed up, slimy slug about 4-5" long on the plate. I like snails. But this ain't no snail.

sea urchin eggs.
crickets/bugs in general
chicken hearts
had durian, wont do that one again, although it may not be a bad idea to give it another go
gator, so friggin good
anything raw that i can.
she gets pretty grossed out at just about everything i eat lol

SWMBO is grossed out by the sounds I apparently make when I am eating pistacio nuts. Our upstairs and downstairs neighbors must wonder whats going on when they hear her shouting "No! James Please! Please! Stop eating nuts! Stop! You're still eating nuts!" followed by me cackling evilly.

:off:

This made me laugh because our female dog humps a throw rug at the bottom of the stairs all the time so my wife is always yelling out "NO HUMPING!!!" If we only had neighbors near by enough to hear that every other day I can only imagine what they might think. :D

On topic my wife eats just about anything including calf brains.

She doesn't like my peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Comfort food for me.

On the other hand I retch at the thought of her beloved poi. Makes me think of what wall paper paste must taste like.

I've had poi. I'll probably never eat it again. It didn't taste good whatsoever.

SWMBO loves to eat bread and milk with a bit of sugar. She really hates jello and gelatinous foods (squid,octopus,cooked barley). She also doesn't appreciate my love for gizzards, hearts, kidneys, etc.

SWMBO is extremely adventurous when it comes to food- we eat lots of wild game and organ meat. For example, we frequently go to the butcher and ask "Do you have chicken hearts today?" (chicken heart tacos are amazing)... BUT she gets mildly disgusted when I eat pickled herring for breakfast. Go figure.

Mustard - I have four types in the fridge and my wife will not eat anything with mustard on it. She stopped going to Five Guys when they accidentally put mustard on her burger.

What exactly is poi like?

There are three kinds of poi: One finger, two finger and three finger. Depends on thickness. It tastes like raw starch, aka library paste.

I grew up really poor with a lot of ethnic neighbors so there are a lot of stuff I'll eat that makes my wife nearly puke.

Kibbi - raw ground chuck on flatbread with onions and bulgar wheat
Budain - a kind of blood sausage
Squirrel - NOT from the city, but when I'm at the cabin chicken fried squirrel with gravy = MMMM
lutefisk - lye soaked whitefish
Salt cod - literally rotted and salted cod we make a stew out of it and serve it on biscuits
pickled herring and pickled eggs
beets

Many more, but the king of the above is the squirrel, she usually runs out of the cabin when I come back with one or two on my belt, ahh the things that make me laugh :) That's what she gets for growing up in Chicago!

Squirrel is good stuff, I miss the days of going to the farmers woods and cleaning out some squirrels. Cook them up in some cream of mushroom and put it over potatos, good stuff. The one thing that gets my wife is the gizzards and hearts in gravy over mashed spuds.

SWMBO loves to eat bread and milk with a bit of sugar. She really hates jello and gelatinous foods (squid,octopus,cooked barley). She also doesn't appreciate my love for gizzards, hearts, kidneys, etc.

When I was young my parents gave us kids something similar as we were recovering from the flu and starting to get our appetite back. Toasted bread, torn up in warm milk with a little sugar and cinnamon. It was comfort food really and always meant you were near the end of feeling like crap.

I have been all over the world and sea cucumber was one of only two things I couldn't finish (I had one of our office guys order for me and one of the other guys said to him, "why did you order that? I won't even eat that **it!") The other one was "hundred year eggs". Fertile, half hatched eggs that are boiled and then pickled and I think fermented. The look and smell sent me over the edge. Whole baby turtles were not very good but that was a texture thing, they tasted fine.

youve had lutefisk! Im so curious about how that tastes you have no idea.

Lutefisk has the texture of fish, has absolutely no flavor, and pretty much tastes like the melted butter you dip it in.

My parents love it, I despise it. Cardboard or unflavored jello has more flavor.

Maybe there is. It tastes like clear jello, probably not much there after is soaks in lye.

TheBrewinator said:
Squirrel is good stuff, I miss the days of going to the farmers woods and cleaning out some squirrels. Cook them up in some cream of mushroom and put it over potatos, good stuff. The one thing that gets my wife is the gizzards and hearts in gravy over mashed spuds.

Porcupine is pretty good when done like a pot roast

The other one was "hundred year eggs". Fertile, half hatched eggs that are boiled and then pickled and I think fermented. The look and smell sent me over the edge.

lol. My wife ate one of those while she was pregnant. She had a Chinese developer at work telling her that they were the best thing during pregnancy, and surprised the girl by not only asking for one but finishing it.

(Also, I think the process involves wrapping raw, shell-on eggs in a mud/wood ash/lye mixture and letting them "cure" for a while. No cooking or fermenting involved.)

SWMBO can't watch me eat eel or any game meat. Conversely, the two things that she eats that makes me want to gag every time is scrapple and asparagus. Scrapple is like an organ meat pancake and asparagus (and pretty much any cooked cabbage) smells like a wet fart. I've tried it so many different ways to like it, but I just can't get past the smell and texture.

SWMBO can't watch me eat eel or any game meat. Conversely, the two things that she eats that makes me want to gag every time is scrapple and asparagus. Scrapple is like an organ meat pancake and asparagus (and pretty much any cooked cabbage) smells like a wet fart. I've tried it so many different ways to like it, but I just can't get past the smell and texture.

Scrapple is excellent. I grew up eating balkenbrij, which is the dutch version of this delicious fried treat. My grandma used to grind every odd part of the cow to make this. I ate a lot of scrapple going to school in PA (amish like to use every part you know).

And, I can't believe you're knocking wet farts!

Head cheese grosses me out.

778px-S%C3%BClze001.jpg

Back