Food problems: How do I order an English Muffin??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should I prepare the waitress for my ordering of an English Muffin???

• When asked between Toast or Muffin, ask for muffin

• When asked between Toast or Muffin, ask Toast

• To experience this dilemma, you are old and eat too much.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I was at a 4/5 star cafe on my travels this past week and I wanted an english muffin with breakfast. On the menu, omelets came with your choice of Toast, Muffin, or Grits.

I thought, "Hmm... An english muffin is not quite a toast, and it has muffin in the name." I told the waitress "muffin" to which she offered "Apple, Bran, Blueberry, etc etc..." but never ENGLISH muffin...

I politely asked, "do you have English Muffin?

She responded, "OH! Yes I'll get that for you."

hmm Should I have said "Toast?"

I don't think anyone would make the toast connection. I suspect most people think bran or blueberry when you say muffin but if you'd asked for an English muffin right off there'd be no confusion. They may also have croissants, biscuits, cornbread, bagels, etc. but the wait staff do not want to rattle off a long list.

Hash browns or country fries were a part of the deal :)

@Hamaki good point! I love a good croissant...

@Sammy86 This was an experience through Paso Robles, California

This is why people shouldn't be given too many choices. The cafe should serve breakfast. Breakfast should be:
Two eggs, over easy so the white on top is just barely whitened, but no yolk is firmed. The eggs shall be fried in butter with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Four whole strips of bacon. The edges shall be crisp with the ends having a bit of crunch. The major length of each strip shall remain pliable, but not rubbery.
One ladle of grits where the consistency shall be such that the serving slightly spreads out when plated. Not soup. Not paste. Serve with a pat of butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
One large cat head biscuit. The bottom shall be slightly more browned than the top with a bit of crunch to it. Butter shall be offered on the side. It is the consumers choice to have either grape jelly or strawberry jam. Blackberry preserves may also be offered.
Coffee shal be provided black and hot. A small creamer of whole white milk and a spoon's worth or sugar shall be provided for those who require it.

Should one desire pancakes, they shall number three and each be the size of a dinner plate. They shall be either made of buttermilk batter or a buttermilk batter adjuncted with some corn meal. Syrup shall be maple, and served warm on the side. Ample butter to cover each pancake shall be provided. Bacon and coffee shall be offered in the same manner as above.

@zuljin - now THAT'S breakfast! I would emphasize that an appropriate amount of syrup be provided too. I seem to need 1.5 of those little serving shot glasses.

There shall be a full bottle of hot sauce on the table; origin of said hot sauce shall be within the borders of the state of Louisiana, United States of America. It is so written.

@zuljin - now THAT'S breakfast! I would emphasize that an appropriate amount of syrup be provided too. I seem to need 1.5 of those little serving shot glasses.

This is why people shouldn't be given too many choices. The cafe should serve breakfast. Breakfast should be:
Two eggs, over easy so the white on top is just barely whitened, but no yolk is firmed. The eggs shall be fried in butter with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Four whole strips of bacon. The edges shall be crisp with the ends having a bit of crunch. The major length of each strip shall remain pliable, but not rubbery.
One ladle of grits where the consistency shall be such that the serving slightly spreads out when plated. Not soup. Not paste. Serve with a pat of butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
One large cat head biscuit. The bottom shall be slightly more browned than the top with a bit of crunch to it. Butter shall be offered on the side. It is the consumers choice to have either grape jelly or strawberry jam. Blackberry preserves may also be offered.
Coffee shal be provided black and hot. A small creamer of whole white milk and a spoon's worth or sugar shall be provided for those who require it.

Should one desire pancakes, they shall number three and each be the size of a dinner plate. They shall be either made of buttermilk batter or a buttermilk batter adjuncted with some corn meal. Syrup shall be maple, and served warm on the side. Ample butter to cover each pancake shall be provided. Bacon and coffee shall be offered in the same manner as above.

This is exactly what I'm talking about...its those good southern breakfasts that I miss dearly being in New England

There shall be a full bottle of hot sauce on the table; origin of said hot sauce shall be within the borders of the state of Louisiana, United States of America. It is so written.

This. And none of that battery acid flavored mace. A good hot sauce has flavor. Any fool can make a bottle of pain.

Just order the "Lumberjack Special". No grits, but you will get hash browns. Oh and if in northern New England the maple syrup will be real and not corn syrup based.

Fake maple syrup should be a crime.

Just order the "Lumberjack Special". No grits, but you will get hash browns. Oh and if in northern New England the maple syrup will be real and not corn syrup based.

I'm in CT...a few decent breakfast places but you can only get biscuits and gravy with a side of grits two eggs over easy down south...its just not the same!

This. And none of that battery acid flavored mace. A good hot sauce has flavor. Any fool can make a bottle of pain.

Fake maple syrup should be a crime.

While I love a good hot sauce, I will take the sriracha "cock sauce" and any salsa home made by someone of latin descent. .

If Canadian Maple is available in pure form, I prefer grade B (more flavor).

I find that grits being a menu option is a promising start for the future of the peoples republic of california.

Done some more eating since my initial post. Decided to try some biscuits and jelly.

One place didn't offer them and I argued with the 18 year old waitress that she had biscuits and gravy... And she educated me that those biscuits had gravy on top and were not a side dish... "Please just sub toast for a biscuit no gravy."

Couldn't do that...

Sigh... So I had to order two eggs over easy a-la cart and biscuits with gravy but on the side....

Good lord I'm all fired up again...

Grits every time.

Tho', I usually get cottage cheese.

Stop eating that.

Done some more eating since my initial post. Decided to try some biscuits and jelly.

One place didn't offer them and I argued with the 18 year old waitress that she had biscuits and gravy... And she educated me that those biscuits had gravy on top and were not a side dish... "Please just sub toast for a biscuit no gravy."

Couldn't do that...

Sigh... So I had to order two eggs over easy a-la cart and biscuits with gravy but on the side....

Good lord I'm all fired up again...

Stop eating there.

Back