food grade vegatable oil vessels cleaning method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misha

Reaction score
Don't want to use boiling water - which i like the best - as it deforms the plastic - what about using vinegar with soda bicarbonate in hot water and rinsing it many time after...containers wont be used anytime soon - it's another 3/4 months, just want to get rid of any left over oil mostly

Don't want to use boiling water - which i like the best - as it deforms the plastic - what about using vinegar with soda bicarbonate in hot water and rinsing it many time after...containers wont be used anytime soon - it's another 3/4 months, just want to get rid of any left over oil mostly
I don't know where you live, do you have access to a grease cutting dish detergent, such as 'Dawn' brand? In my experience it will cut through food grade oils easily using even cold water. Just a soft cloth will do the job without scratching the soft plastic.

I don't know where you live, do you have access to a grease cutting dish detergent, such as 'Dawn' brand? In my experience it will cut through food grade oils easily using even cold water. Just a soft cloth will do the job without scratching the soft plastic.
well its actually a bottle with like 10mm lid....so no way to stick a hand in there...plus the handle is also hollow - and its like 10 mm diameter:https://www.google.com/search?q=sop...AhXKKMAKHa-WCwcQ9QEILDAA#imgrc=dP84J304D-4_DM:

I see. So interior scrubbing is out. Several washes with the type of detergent I mentioned, with vigorous shaking, would do the job, I think. Just wondering, I'm guessing you obtained some used containers? It might be easier to purchase new, clean containers, if that is feasible.

HDPE2 its what it says on the bottle - so approved food grade - reusable material. But what can leach out of that plastic is another story i guess...might do some testing after fermentation and before bottling if its not too expensive. cheers

Back