Food grade epoxy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Black

Reaction score
I am thinking about playing around with a HDPE conical that uses a bunch of weldless fittings. You can get them pretty tight with some tools. BUT I am curious about whether this thing could take some pressure as well, as the walls are petty thick.

I want to use some some epoxy on the inside of the fermenter around the fittings. If done right, this should seal off any spaces where bugs could live. I could do it on the outside, but that wouldnt do as good of a job sealing off the inside.

1) Has anyone done this?
2) What epoxy have they used --- I of COURSE dont want anything leeching into the beer.

Thanks!

HDPE is not the easiest material to bond to others, especially with curved surfaces. You would need a flexible adhesive, too, because the material will flex.

I would check out Henkel's site (makers of Loc-Tite) and look for a medical device grade adhesive that specifies PE.

If it were me, I would go with bulkhead fittings with rubber gaskets. These would need to be removed, cleaned, and sanitized with each use.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="bucketnative, post: 8716190, member:
If it were me, I would go with bulkhead fittings with rubber gaskets. These would need to be removed, cleaned, and sanitized with each use.[/QUOTE]

One reason I had a very, very short romance with HDPE for a fermenter (Speidel.) But still no doubt the preferred route should you choose to go with HDPE.

HDPE is not the easiest material to bond to others, especially with curved surfaces. You would need a flexible adhesive, too, because the material will flex.

I would check out Henkel's site (makers of Loc-Tite) and look for a medical device grade adhesive that specifies PE.

If it were me, I would go with bulkhead fittings with rubber gaskets. These would need to be removed, cleaned, and sanitized with each use.

Thanks! The bulkhead do have rubber washers - I havent tried to load it up to pressure, but wasnt sure if the gaskets would provide enough of a seal.

If a compression fitting through the proper size hole and using the appropriate gaskets can't hold pressure I'd be surprised epoxy will help.
I agree epoxy is unlikely to stick to polyethylene anyway...

Cheers!

WOW. Gotta admit folks, I didnt know that there was anything that epoxy wouldnt stick to. Mildly shocked...

Back