Food grade Container for fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkwisconsin

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397278493.995612.jpg

I'm curious if a container like this would be ok to use as a fermenter. There is dozen of these empty at my work. They used to be filled with a shellac that is used to coat chocolate with a candy coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If they are food grade and clean I wouldn't see why they wouldn't be good for fermentation. As long as you could get a tight fit with a air lock and such.

I would actually be interested in trying one of these my self!

A supervisor told me that they actually sell them to another company for a couple dollars. I told her I would like to buy a couple if I can for a couple dollars each. I'm just waiting for management approval to buy them.

Those are the same as the bulk lme containers. My lhbs gives them away for free. They work for all kinds of cool things. Only thing with fermenting is that it can be hard to clean. Otherwise a solid choice.

i have been using them for years, a little PWB and no problems cleaning at all.
i use a drilled rubber stopper for 1 gallon glass jugs. they screw into the threaded part of the bung and forms a tight seal just remember to drill out the plug in the bung. a 1/4 bit works great.

I'll pay you shipping to get one

:)

From me? I could look into it but shipping would probably be spendy! I could just slap a ups label on the barrel though. Don't need a package for it. Lol.

I have 2 just sitting there right now. I was thinking about using them for ro water storage for brew day.

I have been looking at these as a possible cheap fermenter. Please let me know if you try.

Haha should have hit refresh before posting. So consensus is that these work well? I think I am going to grab one for ro water storage as well sandy.

You can also find them from USPlastics or on Ebay.

From me? I could look into it but shipping would probably be spendy! I could just slap a ups label on the barrel though. Don't need a package for it. Lol.

I have 2 just sitting there right now. I was thinking about using them for ro water storage for brew day.

you can ship clean empty ones usps. i shipped one from pa to wisconsin for about 10 bucks last november. i asked them for the cheapest way to ship.:D

The first ingredient in the shellac containers is ethanol. I hope that doesn't cause problems.

A supervisor told me that they actually sell them to another company for a couple dollars. I told her I would like to buy a couple if I can for a couple dollars each. I'm just waiting for management approval to buy them.

LOL

They will spend hundreds of dollars discussing whether to allow a 4 dollar sale. Just like the company I used to work for.

I had one once. I found it hard to keep clean. PBW does a great job but without being able to see inside, it bugged me. Other than that, it fermented just fine as long as the spinny tops were on tight. I think mine held something crazy like 17 gallons or something.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Those are the same as the bulk lme containers. My lhbs gives them away for free. They work for all kinds of cool things. Only thing with fermenting is that it can be hard to clean. Otherwise a solid choice.

A CIP keg cleaner would work well for this vessel. As well as eliminating any possibility of bacteria harboring scratches.

I've got 4 of these waiting to be used. I picked them up locally, they contained juice previously. I have a few different ideas on how I'm going to use them, just need to dial in my new bigger brew system first.

I know pacs and cubes are always a bit bigger then listed...but 17? Wow, I might need to upgrade to a 20 gal kettle lol

Back