Food grade bag inside plastic fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crstevens15

Reaction score
Alright so I'm working on idea.

I currently use 5 gallon food grade buckets from lowes as fermenters. I like it cuz its cheap but they seem to get funky and also scratching can harbor bacteria, etc.

So I'm thinking as a solution I'll line the bucket with a food grade plastic bag. This will Essentially eliminate cleaning the fermenter entirely and thus eliminate the scratch issue. I picked up some 10 gallon ziploc big bags at target for $6.

Why would this not work? Has anybody done this?

One of our members has been lining his fermenters with, IIRC Turkey roasting bags for years and years. Or something similar. Obviously they are food grade.

ovenbags.jpg

Revvy said:
One of our members has been lining his fermenters with, IIRC Turkey roasting bags for years and years. Or something similar. Obviously they are food grade.

Has he ever reported anything negative about the process?

I tried using the turkey bags several times and they not only leaked, but CO2 pressure building between the leaked portion and the fermenter wall couldn't escape and caused the bag to inflate itself up into my headspace. After three attempts, I gave up.

Back