Follow up to using grain basket as a hop spider in Grainfather S 40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambop

Reaction score
Hi to anybody who is interested šŸ˜
Well I have now done this as an experiment three times and I have found it to work really well for me. Not only does the grain basket retain the hop flowers but because it does this so well the onboard pump can then also be used to pump the wort into the FV which is a huge plus because this means that the S40 boiler system can be placed either on the floor or very close to the floor. I have my system 15cm off the floor on a platform which allows me to be able to reach the thermal cut out should this be required... I have not had to yet but be warned if you have one and the thing cuts out and it is on a surface that does not let you access to the reset you could have problems. I do not think it would work for hop pellets though because they are a good bit finer and I think they would get through the filter holes in the basket .

Sounds like you're using whole hops, I wonder how effective this would be with pellets.

Sounds like you're using whole hops, I wonder how effective this would be with pellets.

Never tried but I do not think it would work using the GF S40 system. I use hop flowers and they are fine I think pellet hops would pass through the malt basket screen . The wort is clear and can be transferred to the FV using the system pump and the kettle is easy to clean up an all-round much better way of using the system.

Back