Foamy pours from new keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
I have a Nostalgia kegerator that I converted into a 2 tap system. Am running 11' lines, copper pipe for tower cooling, double body taprite regulator set at 12.5 at about 38 degrees to achieve about 2.5 volumes of CO2. Ran an entire keg of a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone through it and everything was perfect. This was my first keg through this kegerator. Great pours and really no issues. Kicked that keg today and hooked up another keg of the same beer and now I'm getting really foamy pours. It's not just the first pour or anything, but every pour is giving me a half glass of foam. This keg was put in the kegerator 2 days ago to chill since I knew the first keg was getting low. Both kegs were naturally carbed with the same amount of corn sugar and kegged at the same time. I didn't clean my beer line since I was running the same beer through it again. Since my first keg poured great, I know it's not a warm tower issue. Thinking it has to have something to do with the new keg or not cleaning the line before running the new keg. Obviously something is knocking the CO2 out of solution. Just need to figure it what is causing the issue. Any ideas? Should I clean the line? Or take apart the liquid post and clean it? Maybe something is gunked up in the poppet and needs cleaned out? My first keg ran so perfect it was awesome!! Now I'm having foaming issues and getting bummed. Beer still tasted great though!!!

Your thoughts of cleaning the beer out post are one thing to think about. Could be some hop material trapped and foaming it up. The other thing to check would be the gasket on the beer out dip tube. If that is leaking then CO2 will go straight from the headspace to your beer line.

It's possible that it's over carbed. How much sugar did you use? I think it's suggested to use about 2/3 to 3/4 the normal amount when doing a natural carbonation in a keg.

Good thoughts. I'll get the out post taken apart and cleaned. All are new gaskets though, so I don't think that's the issue. But I'll check them out.

Was thinking over carbed as well. But I used the same amount of sugar as the other keg which was 1/2 if what I would use for bottling 5 gallons. This keg did sit at room temperature for a week longer than the first keg. Maybe that was enough time for it to carb up more.

So I disassembled the liquid post and cleaned the dip tube, post and poppit. Everything was clean. Reassembled with a new dip tube o-ring and keg lube. Still getting a bunch of foam with each pour. I noticed co2 in the line after pulling my second pint. I'm assuming that's my problem. What would cause that? Leaky dip tube? Leaky post? Keg held pressure fine for 3 weeks while naturally carbing. Not sure what to tackle here. I read where an extra o-ring on the out dip tube might help.

Just took another peak and there is definitely co2 coming from the out post. About 4" of co2 from the out post up the line. And several larger bubbles throughout the rest of the line. What should I do?

I have no actual first hand experience yet, my first keg is 1 week into naturally carbing right now. I found these answers on other threads, give them a try and report back so I know what to do in 2 weeks when I over carb ;)

If you pour another one right after does it get better (less foam)? And are you opening the tap fully and not just partially?

Sounds like you could have it overcarbed. Turn your gass off and bleed all the pressure from the keg, especially if you did not do that after you force carbed it. Then turn the gas back on and try it. You may have to repeat a few times. See if that helps.

How long does it take to pour a beer? A pour should be slow. If its fast, I'd wager your low pressure gauge is wrong and the psi is higher than you want, thus over carbing and over pressured/unbalanced tap line makes it rocket out of solution.

The same way you can shake co2 into the beer, you can shake it out. You might try depressurizing, shake the keg, bleed again, shake, bleed etc. until the carbonation is where you want it to be. Let it sit a few minutes in between taste tests/shakes so that you do not overshoot it.

Thanks. I put an extra o-ring on the liquid out dip tube but no help. I'm using the same beer line, 2nd regulator and everything else from the first keg. So I can't imagine it has anything to do with the regulator since my first keg ran perfectly until empty. I'm thinking it's over carbed. Not really sure how that happened, but only thing I can determine since everything else is the same as the first keg. It should equal out over time, I think. But I'm going to disconnect the gas line and have some beer from it today and see what happens.

For an overcarbed keg, you can hook the gas line to the liquid post to "blow" the excess co2 out of solution. First, vent the keg of all co2 pressure, then hook the gas disconnect to the liquid post (nothing is connected to the gas post obviously). You'll hear the keg start to gurgle. When it stops gurgling, vent the keg again, then swap the gas disconnect back to the gas post, liquid disconnect to the liquid post, and pull a pint. If it's still overcarbed, repeat.

Found that info here.

Go to about the 7 minute mark. Word of warning. If you have MFL swivel nuts, then its a good idea to use a spare liquid disconnect in place of the gas disconnect. The gas disconnect is a pita to remove from the liquid post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back