Foaming Foaming Everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakkasso

Reaction score
Two questions about foaming:

First, I primed a stout with 3.73 oz of corn sugar. Several months later, when I open the bottles, after a few second they foam over. No agitation. Cloud beer. It just foams over. Any idea why?

Second, when I opened my bottle of WPL013 London Ale yeast for my last batch, it started foaming. OK, there was some agitation involved with that one, but I've never seen yeast foam like that. Any idea why?

thanks!

My WLP001 foamed pretty good when I opened it too, I had to seal the cap real quick because I thought it was going to foam over. That was my first experience with liquid yeast so I figured it was normal.

As to the beer foaming over IDK.

If you haven't already I'd recommend putting your beers in the fridge for a couple of weeks and trying again. This will do two things, allow all the CO2 to dissolve in your beer and help your yeast settle. If the yeast are disturbed/in suspension they can act as nucleation points, sites for CO2 to exit the liquid. Lots of nucleation points = foamy beer. Good luck!

Before opening any bottled homebrew, refrigerate at least 24 hours. This allows the sediment to compact and as a result will reduce the amount of yeast in suspension, as well as reduce the number of nuculeation sites (places for bubbles to form) which will help reduce the instances of non infection related gushers. It also allows more CO2 to dissolve properly in solution which will keep what beer you pour out carbonated.

At least a week to fridge beers to get a decent amount of co2 into solution for good head & carbonation. 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. Also,be sure the beer is at a stable FG & settled out clear or slightly misty before racking to bottling bucket. This will help negate any over-carbing from the primary fermentation finishing in the bottles. Over & above the priming sugar amount used.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. This was a ruined batch that I was dumping, so they were room temperature. Usually, when I open beer it has been in the fridge for a while and is pretty cold. CO2 neucleation sites, huh? I have a bit of a chemistry background, so that gives me something interesting to ponder over breakfast... Thanks again!

Had a similiar issue but it got worse over time. I age in bottle for 2 weeks minimum then off to the fridge. For the first few weeks or month the beer was fine but once it got older it was a volcano and every single bottle was this way.

It was a vanilla stout and still to this day no clue why. This is the only batch of beer I've had do this.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. This was a ruined batch that I was dumping, so they were room temperature. Usually, when I open beer it has been in the fridge for a while and is pretty cold. CO2 neucleation sites, huh? I have a bit of a chemistry background, so that gives me something interesting to ponder over breakfast... Thanks again!

Nuculeation sites are what makes mentos and diet coke so spectacular. That is also why special IPA and Pale Ale glasses found with things etched on the inside bottom of the glass to allow for bubbles to forn and help you smell that wonderful huppiness.

RIC0 said:
Had a similiar issue but it got worse over time. I age in bottle for 2 weeks minimum then off to the fridge. For the first few weeks or month the beer was fine but once it got older it was a volcano and every single bottle was this way.

It was a vanilla stout and still to this day no clue why. This is the only batch of beer I've had do this.

Mine got worse over time also. Near the end I opened a bottle from the fridge (to put in the ribs, because it wasn't worth drinking) and it did the same.

Back