Foam explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUEnder

Reaction score
Just opened a bottle of oatmeal stout I brewed several months ago and the beer instantly transformed into foam and exploded all over the countertop. I've been brewing for years, and that was a first. What causes that?

Infection or over carbing. Does it taste like it should??? Is it chilled? You could put one one the fridge and chill it down low for a couple days and then open one to see if it foams up.

I also had one do that a week ago. It was the last of a 5 gallon batch that I had bottled back in early september. It had to be something wrong in that bottle as all the rest of them were good.

I also had one do that a week ago. It was the last of a 5 gallon batch that I had bottled back in early september. It had to be something wrong in that bottle as all the rest of them were good.

Odd question but was the bottle a twist off?

I had one batch do that early on. Fridge them for a week & that'should fix it,barring an infection. Sometimes the co2 in the head space creats nucleation points that make it foam up. In that case,the week fridge time worked for me.

Back