Fly spargeing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
I got a new setup and will be fly spargeing now vs the batch sparge i used to do should i back off my grain mill a bit, i think i set it to .032 tighter then the stock barley crusher...

NO.... Don't change anything yet. Leave the mill gap the same, all processes the same. That way you can see any efficiency gains by your new sparge method. Have some extra hops on hand if you think you might have a higher yield. Once you are convinced that your new sparge has increased efficiency than make an adjustment in your grain bill.

iaefebs said:
NO.... Don't change anything yet. Leave the mill gap the same, all processes the same. That way you can see any efficiency gains by your new sparge method. Have some extra hops on hand if you think you might have a higher yield. Once you are convinced that your new sparge has increased efficiency than make an adjustment in your grain bill.

I changed my whole setup I got a new brew rig.. I was wondering if batch sparge vss fly sparge if the flysparge would get stuck easyer.. I think I was at the cusp of a stuck sparge when batch sparging on my old setup..

You should have no problem with a stuck sparge. I fly sparge and never have a problem (but I dont know your system). Dont change anything (yet)r as crush goes.

The only cause for concern would be if you went from a gravity mash to a recirculating mash via pump.

If your using a pump you shouldn't have any new issues with stuck sparge as long as you start Your pump on a dead head and then start your flow SLOWLYand keep a valve on the discharge side of the pump choked to regulate flow.
Starting and running centrifugal pumps filled with fluid against a closed valve is much less stressful fur your pump and your grain bed.

Back