Fly in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roachyroach

Reaction score
Hi gents and ladies, not entirely sure if this is the right place to post it's a bit of an emergency in my head because I want things to go right(I know they don't always), but ive had a mead fermenting a few days now and there happens to be a fruit fly in my air locks (2 1g batches). I was hoping someone could alleviate my worries and let me know if it's of no concern or if I should pop the locks off quicklike and dump the sanitizer and refill.. any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a newbie and this is my first batch.

I would pull the airlock and clean it. Refill with sanitizer and replace.

Will that brief exposure to air cause any mishaps? Such as off taste or just overall messing with the brew?

That's what the airlock is for! Refill with clean sanitizer and you're good. No, small amount of air exposure isn't going to do anything.

Nope - it'll be just fine. Just grab a little piece of aluminum foil, spray it with starsan, and use it to cover the opening while you clean the airlock. And it couldn't hurt to cover the open part of the airlock with a little foil to keep other bugs from getting in.

As long as your must is actively fermenting, what CO2 is lost briefly removing the airlock with be quickly replaced. Besides, yeast needs O2 early in the fermentation process during the growth phase. As a matter of fact, it's a good idea to stir vigorously up to about the 1/2 sugar break (4 days or so) then less vigorously to about the 1/3 sugar break to release CO2 (while reducing O2 exposure). I gently swoosh the container after that until I'm ready to rack.

THanks all. Greatly appreciate the responses. Done and removed the rascal and bubbles are continuing. I've seen many inputs on the subject but I figured I'd ask anyway, what is the usual length for fermentation? Or rather, when would be a good time to rack into secondary? Brewed on the 8th of this month. Bubbles have slowed somewhat since the first couple days. Just curious.

Length of fermentation varies. A week, sometimes less, if you're doing a BOMM (recommended reading: www.denardbrewing.com ). Sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. Depends on many factors like temp, pH, amount of fermentable sugars, yeast alcohol tolerance, nutrition schedule, did you stir or not... Sometimes you might think you're done and you rack to additive(s) in your secondary and it starts up again. Generally, though, if you match your honey amount to your yeast's tolerance, or you step feed, and your hydrometer readings are unchanged for 3 days or so (at around 1.000, maybe a bit higher if you planned on something sweeter), fermentation in the primary is done and you can rack.

Some people routinely rack when their gravity reading hits 1.010. I've racked earlier than 1.000 just to get my 71B off the lees (71B yeast can apparently give an undesirable taste if left on lees too long).

Also, it's worth noting that you may see activity in the secondary. Increased water volume from additives like fruit will reduce overall alcohol percentage along with the reintroduction of fermentable sugars may inspire the yeast yet again. Even agitation during the racking process might produce a little more fermentation. Just rack again whenever you see significant sediment and keep an eye on your hydrometer readings.

So anyway, you can't truly be confident about racking unless you have a hydrometer. And no matter how conscientious you are, stuff happens to thwart the best laid plans; but research, test, taste, smell, observe, take readings, and document so you don't repeat mistakes. Develop an appropriate protocol that takes good care of your yeast and you'll realize a more definitive start and finish to your fermentation as opposed to that lingering 1 bubble every 5 minutes 2 month pain in the neck batch. ....i hated those....

Much thanks brother. As I said this is my first batch so I'm very much wanting as little to go wrong as possible lol. Unfortunately I am without a hydrometer for a bit and didn't have one at the initial process so I'm essentially going at it blind. Read a few forum posts about timing with the bubbles in the airlock as far as telling when fermentation may be done and of course also read on how this is not feasible. I do plan on getting it however but won't be until about Friday. Room temp is about 75-80deg. I know jack of pH. Sugar to water ratio was 2.5lbs per gal with one of them having an apple added. The regular honey water one has Red star blanc cuvee I believe. And the one with the apple has the Montrachet. If I should post this to a different section or create a new post by all means someone let me know.

Back