fluffy fluffy trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebbelwoi

Reaction score
I recently switched from whirlfloc tablets to locally-sourced carrageenan. I ended up using too much in my first batch, and had yeast rafts like I'd never seen before. Now the beer is cold-crashing, and although the last few rafts have sunk, they've simply drifted to the bottom without settling out. There's very little hop matter or cold break material in there. It's almost all Lallemand Voss yeast.

I've tried swishing the fermenter around to break up the big blobs, and it's worked to some degree, but it's still really fluffy at the bottom. Is there anything else I can do besides chill and shake? Would gelatin or Biofine Clear help at all (I have both on hand)? Or do I just need to transfer to the keg carefully and chalk it up as a lesson learned?

I'm sure gelatin would help. If it doesn't, you'll still have crystal clear beer. Not bad unless you're doing a NEIPA. Did you also switch your yeast to a lower flocculating variety?

I'll give it a shot. As for the yeast, it's my usual Lallemand Voss. It flocculates pretty well. I added the carrageenan more to drop out the break material in the kettle.

I tried the Biofine Clear in one half, and gelatin in the other, but I only gave it 36 hours as I was itching to get it kegged. The fluffy bits were a little more solid than I had anticipated, and I was able to rack nearly all of the beer without touching any of the yeast. It looked like oatmeal at the bottom of the empty fermenters.

After kegging, I gave it another dose of gelatin, and we'll see what it looks like after another day or two.

Back