Fluctuating temps and which yeast should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billie

Reaction score
I would like to brew a 2.5 gal. batch of Blonde Ale. I was going to use either Nottingham or S-05 but the only room I can use to ferment is pretty chilly this time of year. Low 50's to upper 50's depending on the temp outside, to low for either ale yeast I was thinking about. Any suggestion from those who are more experienced and will fluctuating temps have a negative effect on my brew? The fluctuation won't be to severe or rapid, maybe just keeping it wrapped with a blanket would stabilize it. Heating it is out of the question wife says no, don't need to waste the money.

Hmm, 10-15C. That’s tough. Nottingham will keep going at low temperatures, as will Whitelabs Kölsch. I’d go for the latter, just because it’s sweet-spot is around 16-18C, and you will get that easy if you pitch at 18C and let the yeast maintain temperature once the yeast start chewing through your wort.

Fermwrap from amazon, with an InkBird temp control, problem solved for $50!

Edit: you could also warm pitch and wrap the fermenter with a blanket until fermentation kicks off, which should help elevate temps, but that’s pretty unpredictable. How much money would be wasted on a ruined batch of beer? It adds up quick!

I don't want to buy any equipment, getting a knee worked on shortly and don't want to spend any more money than I have to at this time. Thinking about s-33 or w-34/70. It won't be a true ale but I think it will be okay.

In your situation I would use the Notty. I ferment it at 55* for the first 3-4 days then let it clime to 64 to finish. So you could just put a bag over it for the first part so that it won't get to warm, then wrap a blanket around it and it should have enough left to raise its self to finish. I use clear fermenters and when I see the krausen start to fall I raise the temp. If you let 05 get below 64* it gives off a spice clove thing to me, some don't taste it but I don't use those yeasts anymore.

Just looked at the spec sheet for Nottingham and surprised to see it will go low as 10C and high as 22C. That’s good going and surprisingly versatile. Should work great for your needs.

Lallemand/Danstar Nottingham appears to be a blend with 70% of a strain that is at the very least lager-like.

The Californian lager ("steam") yeasts are pretty flexible on temperature and eg Mangrove Jack M54 will drop out much more cleanly than eg 34/70.

Or go kolschy like K-97.

Back