Flowers and Aroma Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
The lilac tree in our back yard is about to bloom, and I wanted to use them in a lilac wild ale. I have some wild yeast that I've been wanting to use and I thought this sounded like as good a time as any. Anyway, i want to use the lilacs for aroma and maybe some flavor, but I'm not sure what to do for hop additions. I'll definitely add the normal 60 minute addition for bittering, but I was wondering if I should add any hops for flavor and/or aroma or if I should just use the flowers. I was also thinking of doing a simple hop addition of 1oz sterling for 60 and 1 oz sterling for 10/15 minutes, and then dry hopping with the lilacs. I might even try making some lilac extract or lilac water to add in secondary. That way I don't have to worry so much about the freshness of the flowers. Does anybody have good advice on using flowers in their beer, and how it plays into the hop usage?

Back