Flower IPA w/ Belgian Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So my sisters birthday is coming up and she asked me to make her a beer for February. She says she wanted something flowery, like the Ithaca Flower Power. So I looked at some recipes and tweaked it to my setup and what I liked since I do partial mash at the moment. Here is what I have currently:

1.5lb 2-Row
1lb Honey Malt
.5 lb Carafoam
.25lc 60L
6lb Gold Extract

.75oz columbus (60min)
.5oz Ahtanum (30min)
.5oz Cascade (30min)
.5oz Ahtanum (flameout)
.5oz Cascade (flameout)
.5oz Simcoe (Dry hop)
.5oz Amarillo (Dry hop)
.5oz Centennial (Dry hop)

With that though, she wants something out of the box. Almost to take the American IPA and give it a Belgian twist cause she is a Belgian fan. Thought about using the Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit.

Just wondering what people thought about it, or some tweak suggestions.

Thanks - And Happy Thanksgiving

I have used that strain for a many batches and like the results. I'd reduce the honey malt by about 1/2 and add some Belgian biscuit malt to add a little more body.

I have used that strain for a many batches and like the results. I'd reduce the honey malt by about 1/2 and add some Belgian biscuit malt to add a little more body.

Interesting. Never heard of this before. Going to have to investigate and check into it. Thanks for the info

We like Belgians too. So we took brewed up a batch of a Belgian Ale and split it between two buckets. 70% in one with WL 530 (Abbey Ale) and 30% with WL 565 (Saison I). The result changed over time but in the first few weeks it was pretty balanced with a hint of the Saison but after about 6 weeks it all tilted towards the Saison. It was a great beer and we may continue to play with it the raitos and maybe try it with a Trappest.

So have some fun. I heard it said there is no bad beer only limited addition beer.

Latest posts

Back