Floral IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob6239

Reaction score
I've read up on some past threads where folks have been looking to minimize citrus and maximize floral in an IPA

Was thinking 2-Row and bit of Honey and Crystal 20

For hops maybe bitter with Bravo, and some kind of combination of El Dorado, Palisade, and Willamette? I heard EKG was another good floral example so maybe incorporate that too

Any warning signs, advice, or experiences anyone had combining these?

I make a German blonde that's very floral & perfumey.
it's bittered with Perle & finished with Tettnang @ 20, 10 & KO.
Willamette to me is more​ spicy like saaz, & EKG comes across as more fruity to me.
of course that can vary from year to year, region grown, etc so ymmv.

Try ahtanum
Similar to Cascade, but little citrus/grapefruit. Much more floral.
And cheap.

I think I'll bitter with Bravo, and use El Dorado, Palisade and Ahtanum probably from 15 mins to larger amounts down to flameout/whirlpool

EKG is floral but pretty mild, might get overshadowed.

Centennial is floral if you don't mind fruit as well.

Palisades gets me what I'm looking for in a floral beer. I tried Ahtanum (in two different beers) and hated it. Will never use that hop again.

Palisades gets me what I'm looking for in a floral beer. I tried Ahtanum (in two different beers) and hated it. Will never use that hop again.

I've used two different years of it and they were pretty variable. Similar to centennial.
First time was just a few ounces with Amarillo. It added roseyness to it, definitely in the nose and on the sip.
The second time I was going for piney and dumped a whole pound in 10g from 15-wp. Came out floral with a bit of nonspecific fruitines -punch like. Not a bit of pine.

I wouldn't do it a a feature hop, but it could play a supportive role.

I think I saw a single hop brew in the brewdog PDF but I don't recall the notes on it.

I've found Cascade-Columbus combo to be really floral. Columbus can come across different though depending which CTZ variety you end up with.

I've found Cascade-Columbus combo to be really floral. Columbus can come across different though depending which CTZ variety you end up with.

And addition time
Earlier in the boil gets very West coast

Back