Flocculation and clarification...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 336313

Reaction score
Not sure if this topic belongs on this subforum, but here goes...

I´m planning on brewing a grisette for spring. I don´t want to use a saison yeast, as I brew at a brewpub and don´t want to risk infection with that yeast. I´m curious about the Farmhouse yeast by Lallemand and want to try it for this brew. However, it has low flocculation. Grisette is not a beer that you want to be hazy.

Any advice? Apart from conditioning cold, of course. Irish moss? Stuff like that?

Thx!

Any advice? Apart from conditioning cold, of course. Irish moss? Stuff like that?

Irish moss won't do anything to drop yeast. Cold conditioning will drop yeast over time, but if you want to expedite it, gelatin should do the trick.

Irish moss won't do anything to drop yeast. Cold conditioning will drop yeast over time, but if you want to expedite it, gelatin should do the trick.

Gelatin, check. Thx. Any specific kind or brand? When do you add it? Whirlpool? After fermentation?

Gelatin for sure. You mentioned brewing in a brew pub so I’m not sure of your batch size. I just bought the clear beer draft system for 2 kegs to try them out. It has really good reviews for drawing the clearest beer.

Gelatin, check. Thx. Any specific kind or brand? When do you add it? Whirlpool? After fermentation?
Most likely a few different ways but I quickly boil 2 ounces of water and then add 1/2 tsp gelatin (5 gallon batch) any homebrew store. I let it sit until my closed transfer is running. Then add it with a syringe through a gas post on the keg to reduce introducing O2.

Gelatin, check. Thx. Any specific kind or brand?

I don't know what's available in the Netherlands, but Knox brand is good. I suspect anything that's 100% unflavored gelatin would work.

Most likely a few different ways but I quickly boil 2 ounces of water and then add 1/2 tsp gelatin (5 gallon batch) any homebrew store. I let it sit until my closed transfer is running. Then add it with a syringe through a gas post on the keg to reduce introducing O2.
Thank you

O Cálcio é seu amigo nessa hora .

Silica coloidal é mais indicado para grande lotes, pois é mais facil de aplicar e nao requer preparamento

Calcium is your friend at this time.
Colloidal silica is best suited for large batches as it is easier to apply and requires no preparation.

O Cálcio é seu amigo nessa hora .

Silica coloidal é mais indicado para grande lotes, pois é mais facil de aplicar e nao requer preparamento

Calcium is your friend at this time.
Colloidal silica is best suited for large batches as it is easier to apply and requires no preparation.

I brew batches of 1000 liters.

I think you'll be missing out on some flavor if not using a saison yeast. I belong to the MBAA, (which you can join) and they have a tech bulletin on SOP's for cleaning fermenters and kegs that use STA-1 POS+ yeast. I use two in my brewery and so far(Knock on wood) I haven't had a cross contamination. The main deal is to introduce mechanical scrubbing into the CIP cycle.
I also use a very powdery yeast WY 2565 Kolsch and if I can get it to 29* with gelatin,it clears in 2-3 weeks, which is one week short of my 4 week lagering I like to do. I've heard the Top Draw is awesome for clear beers.

I think you'll be missing out on some flavor if not using a saison yeast. I belong to the MBAA, (which you can join) and they have a tech bulletin on SOP's for cleaning fermenters and kegs that use STA-1 POS+ yeast. I use two in my brewery and so far(Knock on wood) I haven't had a cross contamination. The main deal is to introduce mechanical scrubbing into the CIP cycle.
I also use a very powdery yeast WY 2565 Kolsch and if I can get it to 29* with gelatin,it clears in 2-3 weeks, which is one week short of my 4 week lagering I like to do. I've heard the Top Draw is awesome for clear beers.

I'll take this into consideration. Thank you. It's not my brewpub, so I the owner needs to agree too.

Certainly for your first one, I definitely agree on trying to avoid diastatic yeast for the time being - the risk/reward of using diastatics is just all wrong if your brewery is currently "clean" and this is likely to only be an occasional brew.
I´m planning on brewing a grisette for spring. I don´t want to use a saison yeast, as I brew at a brewpub and don´t want to risk infection with that yeast. I´m curious about the Farmhouse yeast by Lallemand and want to try it for this brew. However, it has low flocculation. Grisette is not a beer that you want to be hazy.

Gelatin(e) is the homebrew hack because it's not easy for homebrewers to get isinglass, but these days at commercial level there's no excuse not to be vegan-friendly. There might be a slight cost difference between isinglass and the likes of Brausol but in Europe, at least, it's definitely worth it from a market perspective.

So yeah, use Brausol.

Another approach to just drop yeast but not other stuff is to add another high-flocculation yeast like Nottingham at high-krausen, but something like Brausol is the easy option.

Certainly for your first one, I definitely agree on trying to avoid diastatic yeast for the time being - the risk/reward of using diastatics is just all wrong if your brewery is currently "clean" and this is likely to only be an occasional brew.

Gelatin(e) is the homebrew hack because it's not easy for homebrewers to get isinglass, but these days at commercial level there's no excuse not to be vegan-friendly. There might be a slight cost difference between isinglass and the likes of Brausol but in Europe, at least, it's definitely worth it from a market perspective.

So yeah, use Brausol.

Another approach to just drop yeast but not other stuff is to add another high-flocculation yeast like Nottingham at high-krausen, but something like Brausol is the easy option.

Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back