Floating yeast islands on top of 34/70 lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
2nd and 3rd generation........ Using harvested yeast slurry, I'm getting floating yeast islands long after flocculation. In the past, I've only done a single generation of 34/70, and never seen this. Is this a common phenomenon.......I'm assuming that 34/70 isn't a stable strain and mutates readily. This looks a lot like what I was getting with lallemand's Belle Saison... but of course it lacks the Belgian funk. Anybody else see this?

H.W.

Post a picture. It's probably nothing. I've used 34/70 for multiple generations and it still produces good beer. It's a great yeast, especially as a dry option.

Post a picture. It's probably nothing. I've used 34/70 for multiple generations and it still produces good beer. It's a great yeast, especially as a dry option.

Here's a photo of the fermenter............ I racked a good portion of it to another container to cold crash / lager........... in the photo you can see the yeast islands on the inside wall of the fermenter and floating on the remaining wort.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ryavvv34dzsiocj/AACezdaGup5CVfRWNZnNGP6Ca

H.W.

2nd and 3rd generation........ Using harvested yeast slurry, I'm getting floating yeast islands long after flocculation. In the past, I've only done a single generation of 34/70, and never seen this. Is this a common phenomenon.......I'm assuming that 34/70 isn't a stable strain and mutates readily. This looks a lot like what I was getting with lallemand's Belle Saison... but of course it lacks the Belgian funk. Anybody else see this?

H.W.

Yeah, I've seen this before. Just last weekend on a German Pils actually. Don't worry about it.

That looks pretty normal to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ive seen that before too with several lager strains. Usually a light shake, will get them to fall.

Back