Floating trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribe Fan

Reaction score
I did an experimental stove top batch of 2 gal pale ale. I have some WLP001 and bock lager yeast, so I split the batch and pitched different yeast in each gallon.

Long story short, I had an 'incident' transferring from the boil kettle to the fermenters and consequently transferred a lot of the break proteins into the fermenters.

The ale fermenter is about 1/3 full of cold break which has all settled to the bottom of the fermenter. The lager has what looks like typical cold break to me, floating on top of the fermenter. Lots of it, about a quarter of the fermenter.

I've never seen this before, but I also have not used lager yeast before. Is this typical?

There is a really good chance I contaminated this batch as I instinctively reached in and grabbed my now torn trub filter. But contaminates wouldn't show up in that quantity in less than 24 hours.

Both beers are fermenting away, the ale at 68F and the lager at 50F.

Unless you were doing filthy things before you reached in no.

LOL, uh no. In fact my hands were covered in starsan before the transfer. I see some other threads on floating trub that looks just like mine, yeah I know search is your friend.

Back