Floating an idea for a DIY hops rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
The SIGG water bottles are about the right shape and size, and you can get them for nothing these days. I'm thinking you could buy two, drill through the bottom of one a couple times to create a false bottom, cut the second one in half, and attach the top of one bottle to the bottom of the other (so there's a threaded connection on both ends).

Thoughts?

How do you plan to join the two bottles together?

Why not just use a cartridge style water filter body and modify the cartridge? Seems like a lot less work and not much money. (you'll spend more on hops to fill it)

How do you plan to join the two bottles together?

Why not just use a cartridge style water filter body and modify the cartridge? Seems like a lot less work and not much money. (you'll spend more on hops to fill it)

How do those deal with hot wort when using it as a hopback?

I wouldn't think either approach would work particularly well as a hop back. The flow surface area would be too small with the SIGG bottles and the plastic can't handle the temps.

When I read the original post I thought he was trying to build a Randall not a back

Interesting points. I guess what I'm trying to duplicate is the hop rocket, which seems like it's about the same size as my SIGG bottles, which is why they came to mind?

As for how to attach them. . . probably silver solder.

I have a few standard sized sigg bottles and a hop rocket.... They are not the same size. A hop rocket is only a little over a hundred bucks and really works like a charm..... I just used it with 3oz of hops for my ipa last weekend. It's amazing how well this thing filters stuff out!:mug:

I have a few standard sized sigg bottles and a hop rocket.... They are not the same size. A hop rocket is only a little over a hundred bucks and really works like a charm..... I just used it with 3oz of hops for my ipa last weekend. It's amazing how well this thing filters stuff out!:mug:

Do you think it would filter the same with rice hulls on batches that you don't want the extra hop boost?

Back