Flipping Seals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've run 22 brews so far, with an inadequate number of swing top bottles. I need another case or two of bottles. Bottles are a priority that falls below ingredients. I bottle when I have enough bottles, and brew accordingly.

After a period of time the seals on some of the swing top bottles (EZ Cap brand) will begin to leak off pressure, and I am getting an increasing number of flat beers.... up to about 1 for every two batches. I have recently begun prying the seals off and flipping them and reinstalling them. This puts side that has developed a groove from contact with the top of the bottle, against the smooth tapered surface of the plastic cap, and the smooth surface that was formerly up against the cap, down against the top of the bottle.

This works, and my inclination is to start flipping them every few months. My thinking is that the groove pressed into the plastic by the top of the bottle will "heal". I'm marking the bottles I've done this to so I can check the results. The height of frugality ;-), but why throw away seals when they still have a good side? I have plenty of these seals (new ones).

Anybody else try this, and if so, what was your success?

H.W.

Back