Flip Top Bottles For Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fermenting my first cider and getting ready to bottle. I am concerned about the chance of a bottle bomb, but I also have never bottle pasteurized either. I am going for a moderate level of sweetness and hoping for a pretty high carbonation level also. Potentially a recipe for danger. I am planning to bottle in swing top bottles and was wondering about the rubber seal leaking pressure at a level before the risk of glass breakage. I know the swing tops seal well but is that seal able to hold back glass breaking pressure?

Thanks
Greg

Never had it happen to me, but from what I understand the tops will pop off at a certain pressure usually before the glass breaks.

I have experiance with stove top pasteaurizing ands wing tips. To much pressure and the tops leak. With the bottles I had, right after the seals started leaking , when the pressure became more then a leaky seal could handle, the bottles did burst but not explode, they just broke in two

Back