Flavoring - crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopernatural

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I was planning on making this batch into a Blueberry wheat beer, and it's been bottling for 8 days now. Problem is I forgot to add the damn Blueberry flavoring. Is it too late to add this? I am using grolsch swing tops so I wouldn't have to recap but I feel I would lose my carbonation. Or would I?

Help! I want my blueberries

You'd likely lose some carb at 8 days.

Can you add it when you pour? You could do a side by side comparison-- with and without fruitiness.

You'd likely lose some carb at 8 days.

Can you add it when you pour? You could do a side by side comparison-- with and without fruitiness.

I agree you would lose some carb. One thing that maybe you could do if you really wanted to add it to bottles, is get the beers really cold, that way a lot of the carbonation goes into the solution, and then open them. You would lose the headspace but less than if it was warmer. Plus you could possibly offset this by serving the beer a bit warmer so more of the co2 comes out of the solution. Just an idea. I'm sure others will respond to this idea.

Or like BigFloyd suggests just maybe at them at serving time. I'd suggest getting a dropper and being able to see how much of it you want. Let us know what to decide to do.

- ISM NRP

I'm thinking it probably best to use it on the next batch instead and suffer through a regular wheat beer.

Extracts are highly concentrated, and so I'd think adding it to a glass would give an extreme blueberry flavor, as I'm not sure you could add a small enough amount. Maybe if you use a huge mug and 2-3 beers?

If you added a dropper's droplet to a bottle it may be too much, and you'd ruin them all.

Low carb may not be horrible, but nearly flat beer generally isn't enjoyable either.

I suppose you could add a very slight amount of sugar to help make up what's lost, but you'd still be guessing that the extract won't be too strong.

A friend used the whole bottle of hazelnut extract in his 5 gal beer and ruined them all as it was way too overpowering. They were nasty. That was 50 something bottles to a 25 ml bottle of extract.

Back