Flavor difference of extract v. All grain pre packaged kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ordered the same pre packaged kits from an online site(like northern Brewer) in extract and all grain versions before? Just wondering what the taste difference would really be. Want to order the Hopslam clone from NB but this would be my first foray into AG and it seems like so much more work compared to extract. I just wonder if the flavor difference is worth it.

I've never done a side-by-side comparison, but there are usually some differences between AG and Extract if you want to make them look and taste similar. I would hope the kit companies would realize this and adjust the kits accordingly. After all, they are "supposed" to be clones.

That said, I would recommend proceeding with a Hopslam AG recipe with caution. Hopslam is probably considered an "advanced" recipe since it requires a lot of yeast and a huge hop addition and dry hopping. I mean, it's not THAT hard if you use a kit, but there are some considerations when designing a recipe to account for yeast cell count and hop absorption.

Other than that it's basically a IPA recipe with some honey added.

If you want the least chance of producing a different beer, then I'd recommend AG. My experience with Extract is that you need to use DME and late extract additions in order to get the color just right.

BTW - This year's batch of Hopslam seem to have much less pine in it than some years back when I first tried it. I think Bell's has adjusted the recipe over the years.

BTW - This year's batch of Hopslam seem to have much less pine in it than some years back when I first tried it. I think Bell's has adjusted the recipe over the years.

Maybe you are experiencing the lulipin shift -you have just gotten too used to large amounts of hops and now they have less impact.

I've noticed a lot of IPAs seem (to me) have lost a lot of the flavor I remembered.

Maybe you are experiencing the lulipin shift -you have just gotten too used to large amounts of hops and now they have less impact.

I've noticed a lot of IPAs seem (to me) have lost a lot of the flavor I remembered.

This is entirely possible. I've had too many West Coast IPAs!

But I still think they changed the recipe.

They shouldn't necessarily taste different. I converted my old extract recipes to all grain and they taste the same. I went all grain for more control designing recipes.

Back