Flavor additions: mash tun, boil or secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brand new to brewing, just did my first AG brew last week (went with EdWort's Hefeweizen).

Anyways, I am now chomping at the bit to brew more and I have a tons of ideas and questions swirling around. One thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is; when using an ingredient to impart flavor to a beer, how do you know if it should be added during the mash, the boil or in the secondary?

Most recipes lay it out for you, I get that, but if I were wanting to doctor up a recipe with an ingredient, how do I know where to add it?

Is there a rule of thumb for spices in the boil, fruits in the secondary, etc. etc.?

I'm not too sure about the spices, but I would imagine they would be similar to hop additions? Haven't tried those yet...

But, for fruit/flavor, I've heard both that you can add to boil or fermenter. I made a Belgian and added orange zest to secondary in a hop bag and let it sit for two weeks. Turned out great! Just make sure that you boil it in water for 15 mins to sterilize it before adding it... unless you add it to your boil, then you don't.

:mug:

Look for recipes that use the ingredients you want, to get an idea of when, and how much to add. I made a Christmas porter with some mint and spices, and the recipe even indicated different times to add the mint, depending on whether it was fresh or dry.

Also know that when adding spices, keep the amounts low as its very easy to overdue it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

We all have different preferences, but I prefer adding most anything in secondary (in primary after fermentation is done) Another tidbit, folks don't like hearing it, but nearly all commercial fruit beers use fruit extracts and not actual fruit.

Most recipes lay it out for you, I get that, but if I were wanting to doctor up a recipe with an ingredient, how do I know where to add it?

Is there a rule of thumb for spices in the boil, fruits in the secondary, etc. etc.?

I have been brewing a great deal over the past year with spices, due to family members requesting spiced beers for events such as weddings and holidays. My thoughts on spices after all of this are as follows:

1. You can add your spices in three different ways. First, as boil additions (usually late additions, but not always). Second, as whole spices in secondary (or primary after fermentation is complete), left to steep until the desired level of flavor contribution is made. Don't use ground spices for this! And third, make a spice tea and add it at bottling/kegging time (see below).

2. A spice tea added with the priming solution at bottling or kegging gives you the most control, and really outperforms boil additions. Simply boil some water to sterilize it, then let your spices steep in the hot water for awhile. I just put them in and leave. By the time I come back later, the water has usually cooled (although hopefully you have a pot that is insulated well enough to keep the heat for awhile) and I have an intensely spiced tea that I can add to the beer in measured amounts to taste.

3. Boil timing totally depends on the spice. If you're adding spices to the boil, you need to know your individual spices and how they perform before using them. Nutmeg added in small quantities in the boil at 5 minutes will be discernible in the final beer, whereas star anise added at the same time will smell overpowering going into the fermentor, but will be all but undetectable after fermentation. Instead, to be used in the boil, it needs to be added for a longer period of time. Know your spices! (It helps if you cook).

4. The previous rule also applies to quantities, regardless of when you are adding the spices. Some spices are much more potent than others. In this case, the above examples (nutmeg and star anise) must both be carefully moderated, as they are very pungent and can mute other flavors, while something like citrus peel tends to be a bit more forgiving when added in larger quantities.

5. When working with less familiar spices, feel free (in fact, encouraged) to experiment. However, it almost always helps to make a small quantity of tea with the spice to see what it will taste like in liquid. I did a wheat beer with sweet orange peel and pink peppercorns a few months ago. I did not make a tea, and I was very surprised at what the pink peppercorns tasted like in the beer. It was recognisable and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I expected.

Hopefully this helps, at least on the spice end of your question. This is by no means a rulebook, and every spice is different, but if you follow these guidelines and experiment, you will at least be on the right track, I think.

2. A spice tea added with the priming solution at bottling or kegging gives you the most control, and really outperforms boil additions. Simply boil some water to sterilize it, then let your spices steep in the hot water for awhile. I just put them in and leave. By the time I come back later, the water has usually cooled (although hopefully you have a pot that is insulated well enough to keep the heat for awhile) and I have an intensely spiced tea that I can add to the beer in measured amounts to taste.

This is probably a stupid question, but to make the tea, what do you put the ground spices in that you steep?

This is probably a stupid question, but to make the tea, what do you put the ground spices in that you steep?

Strain through a coffee filter after steeping in water would be an easy way. With regards to the very few beers I brew that have spices, they are just added to the boil.

Back