Flat beer issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umopepisdn

Reaction score
I made a batch of IPA, (90 min DFH clone)

I followed the same procedure I always follow bottling, 3/4 cup corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I also waited 4 weeks before I cracked the first one. I bottle in different size bottles (about 4 12 oz so I don't waste beer if it isn't ready when I crack the first one, or to give to someone I don;t like enough to give a 22 oz too) and the rest in 22s or in growlers or special bottles. Well, I have opened 2 12oz, 4 22oz and 1 26 oz stone inlaid bottle (the rougue imperial IPA stone bottle) and all have been flat with the exception of the 26 bottle. I don't have kegs or co2 and this beer is tasty even in it's kool aid form. However, it was absolutely amazing when carbonated

So, any idea of why this is or how I can take my amazing kool aid and turn it into suds in a safe manner?

What was your botteling conditiong temp? Its not recommended to use growlers for bottle conditiong beers, the glass is weaker.And not built for the psi that it can create.
But pressure is obviously not your issue.all i can say is use more priming sugar or try oxenegated caps. Maybe try a partypig?

maybe your containers didn't hold pressure? I have bottles that seem capped and hold liquid but do not hold pressure.

What was your botteling conditiong temp? Its not recommended to use growlers for bottle conditiong beers, the glass is weaker.And not built for the psi that it can create.

Room temperature, I clean and sanitize bottles a day before bottling. I just find it strange the stone bottle 26oz carbed perfectly and all the others calista flockhart flat

And have yet to problems bottling in growlers, but note taken. :mug:

maybe your containers didn't hold pressure? I have bottles that seem capped and hold liquid but do not hold pressure.

They are the same bottles I always use for all my batches. I bottled a batch of ESB a week before and they all came out fine. I am pretty stumped here

Sometimes it just takes a long time.

I had one recently where I bottled 4 gallons and put another 2 on oak for 3 weeks. The beer that had been on oak, and bottled 3 weeks later carb'd quicker than the main batch. I think it took at least a coupe of months. I was convinced I'd forgotten to add the priming sugar, but they eventually came around.

could be a chance on a cold day too cold they dropped out of suspension?

Sometimes it just takes a long time.

I had one recently where I bottled 4 gallons and put another 2 on oak for 3 weeks. The beer that had been on oak, and bottled 3 weeks later carb'd quicker than the main batch. I think it took at least a coupe of months. I was convinced I'd forgotten to add the priming sugar, but they eventually came around.

K, that maybe the case, I was thinking maybe I forgot priming sugar till the one came out good, but stumped since it was in a different style of bottle. It's been 4 weeks since I bottled it. I hope it turns, since it is one of the better batches I have brewed :mug:

Back