Flask Weight for Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wSelwyn

Reaction score
Question for you all.

Do any of you use a weight for your flask while it is on a stir plate?
I have seen weights online and in catalogs for flask weights, but most of them only mention use for keeping the flask up in a ice/water bath.

Background story: Last brew day I had two stir plates going. I usually set my speed for a good whirlpool, and check on it often as sometimes you have to lower the speed as the yeasties procreate. I had 1000mL in my 2000mL flask. All was well until the last time I had checked it... all over the floor. I'm wondering if a flask weight on the neck of the flask would help avoid this.

Luckily the flask did not break or crack, but now I am worried about the integrity of the flask for future stove-top boils.

If you are worried just do a test run with plain water and see what happens.

I think you missed my original question. I have used this stir plate numerous times, with varying volumes/thicknesses of liquid. I know that it can be knocked off, depending on those variables, if the speed is not slowed down appropriately.

I know that I could as well not have such a good whirlpool, set to a lower speed, and forget about it. However, I prefer the yeasties going for a joy ride :tank:

My question is if anyone here on HBT uses one of these weights on a flask with the intent of not having their wort flipped off the stir plate. I ask because I want to know if it's worth the investment.

I wasn't answering the weight question... Was just commenting about you being worried about it being damaged and failing in future uses. Sorry.

I wouldn't waste my money on the weight ring.

I'd go to the hardware store and get some of those little sticky backed rubber buttons like the ones on the bottom of my laptop computer. Stick a couple/few of them around the perimeter of the stir plate and it should keep the flask from walking off.

I would probably also waste a lot of time trying to figure out what caused the flask to go for a walk in the first place.

Waste of money. How did your flask end up on the floor? You have dogs or kids that knocked it over?

I wasn't answering the weight question... Was just commenting about you being worried about it being damaged and failing in future uses. Sorry.
No worries. I knew there was something awry. :)

I wouldn't waste my money on the weight ring.

I'd go to the hardware store and get some of those little sticky backed rubber buttons like the ones on the bottom of my laptop computer. Stick a couple/few of them around the perimeter of the stir plate and it should keep the flask from walking off.

I would probably also waste a lot of time trying to figure out what caused the flask to go for a walk in the first place.

That idea sounds really promising. My plate has a dip in the tray that "holds" the flask, so it may be both an advantage/disadvantage. I'll post pics if/when I build.

Waste of money. How did your flask end up on the floor? You have dogs or kids that knocked it over?

Well, I do have a cat, but it was a closed room, and she was in backroom of the house watching me brew outside through the window. So, unless she's incredibly awesome and can perform quantum feats, I will lead towards what I have witnessed before: As the viscosity of the starter changes due to increaced cell population, the speed becomes too much, and begins to either knock the stir bar away from the magnet or "walks" the flask away. I like the whirlpool too much to have a weak vortex.

Turn that sucker down. You only need to have a small whirlpool so the yeast stay in suspension. No need to beat the crap out of 'em when you're trying to nurture them.

Wow, ya, I've never had a flask move the slightest. I've had some good vortexes going too. However, Chumpsteak is right. As long as the bar is moving, that's good enough.

Back