Flash Pasteurized, no preservatives, fresh pressed cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tribe Fan

Reaction score
Can I just throw this in the fermenter with some WLP056 I have harvested? Add pectin enzymes?

I have a really nice 3 gallon glass jug the wife found. It would look a lot better with cider and an airlock. :)

I'm jealous....but yes, it should not require any sulfites. Pectic enzyme if it's not crystal clear. Curious what you paid per gallon. We visited an orchard near Madison WI with raw cider, but at $9 a gallon, decided to continue pressing our own juice :)

You found a glass jug? Now you want to ferment in it without knowing what has been inside of this vessel. I would be very careful if you don't know where this thing came from or what may have been in it. But as long as no preservatives are in the juice then yes you can.

I'm jealous....but yes, it should not require any sulfites. Pectic enzyme if it's not crystal clear. Curious what you paid per gallon. We visited an orchard near Madison WI with raw cider, but at $9 a gallon, decided to continue pressing our own juice :)

$5.50 a gallon 25 minutes down the road at a local orchard.

The local grocery store has it on sale tomorrow for $3.99. They source a lot of stuff locally so I'm hoping it is preservative free.

You found a glass jug? Now you want to ferment in it without knowing what has been inside of this vessel. I would be very careful if you don't know where this thing came from or what may have been in it. But as long as no preservatives are in the juice then yes you can.

Wife found it in a store, brand new. It's made for storing wine. It has cabernet molded into the design.

One of these:
s-l1600.jpg

Ahha bought not found. That is one nice jug you got there. Now I am jealous, and I want one of those. I can never find something that nice in any store I go to...ummm Wal-Mart...

So I kicked this one off last Wednesday. I used some WLP056 ale yeast I harvested. I used plenty of yeast for 2.5 gal batch. Fermentation has been slowwwwww. Nice yeast cake, a little foam on top barely any airlock action.

I moved from the granite countertop to a wooden table top and about 15 hours later, walla, bubbles moving pretty steady in the airlock. Granite counter was keeping the temp on the yeast cake pretty low is my guess. Started in the 1.054/56 range. The only thing I added was some pectin enzyme.

Should be fun.....

22 days and this is stuck at 1.030. This stuff had to be treated with something.

Just keep letting it go?

It's not stuck, it's just slow. Give it a few more weeks. Yeast ferments cider slowly on its own schedule. The yeast doesn't care if humans are impatient. Patience is required. :)

For what it's worth, raw juice with no preservatives has run $6 per gallon here in eastern Wisconsin for many years. $9 would be excessive -- this must be inflated for city folk with disposable income. Drive a couple minutes out of town and save big bucks... AND probably get even better juice.

I'm in no hurry and happy to let is sit, but it's been at 1.030 for 10 days now.

Wow, that seems odd. Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer? Refractometers do not read properly when alcohol is present.

Hydrometer that works fine. I've used it three times today on different batches of stuff.

This is the first cider I've done. I've done a ton of beers and about 6 batches of wine now. I've never seen a fermentation like this. It never really kicked off. A few bubbles here and there. I repositioned it to warmer places three times, but it's never been over 70F. Some fine bubbles on the surface is about it. Yeasts were healthy and foaming when I pitched. It's like it has to have some sorbates in it or something.

It might have stalled from lack of nutrients, apple juice is sort of low sometimes. Add some minced raisins, or yeast nutrient.

edit again, never mind previous edit, mixing up threads......

Thanks. I just got some FermK for some wine I'm doing, so I'll try that. Can't hurt.

Well, I checked this last week and it was still at 1.030. Today I was going to play around with it and add some honey and wine yeast to see if it could be saved. I took a reading and it was down to 1.020. Hmm.

Taste test, vinegar. Blacchhh!

First batch of anything I've had to dump.

Well that sux. Sorry it's all come to naught.

We made 3 5-gallon batches of fresh pressed (pressed ourselves) last year. The first batch came up a bit barnyard-y, mostly still, the yeast was shot. Planning on taking it out of the bottles and into a keg to see if that helps. Second batch was sulfur-y because Montrechet yeast wanted more nutrients, finally got rid of that enough to drink it from the keg.

Third batch is still bulk aging, and we going to keg that for the holidays....crossing fingers

So for all that cider seems so simple, yet there is so much that can go wrong. But we'll keep trying, cause when it's good, it's worth the wait. :mug:

This batch was just not right from the get go. Never had a fermentation like this. But I'm not a huge cider fan so if a batch was going to go bad I'd rather it be this one. I've fermented 3 beers with this ale harvest so I'm pretty convinced that cider was treated with something or the ph was way off for the yeast.

Latest posts

Back