flanders red - vomit taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
so i have a flanders red that's been in secondary for 1 year and tastes a little like vomit, sorta kinda. i tasted it a few months ago and it seemed way more intense than it does now but i'm not sure if it's getting better or i'm just imagining things. will this go away with time or has O2 already done it's part here?

so i have a flanders red that's been in secondary for 1 year and tastes a little like vomit, sorta kinda. i tasted it a few months ago and it seemed way more intense than it does now but i'm not sure if it's getting better or i'm just imagining things. will this go away with time or has O2 already done it's part here?

It might. Pitch a fresh brett culture if your lucky the brett will convert it to a nicer fruitier flavor. What yeast have you used so far?

if it's not fixable was it really just too much oxygen that f'ed it up? there was a bit of headspace in secondary but nothing crazy.

Are you drinking the sample chilled or at room temp?

I'm with Agate, if you have that burning acid, sensed in the back of the mouth and throat, you probably have a contamination issue.

I have lambic that I spontaneously fermented which tasted and smelled vomity at about 3 months. At one year it grew a thin pellicle is now fruity and very funky. Let it sit, you never know.

it's really only on the back end when i'm trying it. really not overpowering or anything, just leaves a really gross taste in your mouth. i'll give it some more time i suppose...already been a year so maybe it is what it is.

Back