Flanders Red Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSomeMore

Reaction score
I Just Brewed a Flanders Red based off of Jamil's recipe. The one thing I did add was 1# of flaked wheat to give the bugs some more to chew on. I used White Labs 665 Belgian Sour Mix I, however when I opened the vial about a third exploded out of the vial but was able to get more than half into fermenter. The fermentation temps for the mix says 80-85F. To be safe I put temp to 80F to ramp up fermentation because I lost some of the sour mix when i pitched it. The next day it started to vigorously fermented needed a blowoff tube. I smelled the blow off container and i am getting some banana/clove esters. Should I roll back on the temp or continue until fermentaion of yeast is complete. I know some of the Brett feed off the phenolics, and over time some of the off flavors will be chewed up. It has been fermenting for 3 days now. Should I call it a Funky Flanders? Thanks.

Personally I like to keep primary fermentation warm, high 70's to low 80's (whatever is ambient), then place in a cooler spot for long term aging.

I guess I will let it go at 80 see what happens and then leave it in the primary around 65 for a couple months. I have read that Flanders are usually are fermented around 68-70. This is my first sour. I have done a saison with wyeast belgian ardennes at 83 where phenols are desirable. Just not sure how it will pan out in a Flanders Red over time. I guess i have to wait and see.

The brett will clean up any weird esters you start off with from the yeast, so don't worry too much about what it smells like right now. I just brewed a red and pitched it onto my yeast/bacteria cake and added some 3522. I do all of my sours at either room temp (70-75) or heat them to 85.

Latest posts

Back