Flaming Dr Pepper Belgian Strong Ale - Christmas brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started by brewing up a standard belgian pale ale recipe using my BIAB setup. Here's the recipe;

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 19.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.70 kg Lager Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 92.5 %
0.30 kg CaraGold (5.9 EBC) Grain 7.5 %
15.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
10.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.9 IBU

1376493_10151900455343608_499764791_n.jpg

Bottled today, tasting good and fermented very dry at 1.007 giving it 4.8% ABV! A little stronger than I aimed for, but not particularly unwelcome.

I also syphoned a gallon into a 2 gallon FV, and this is where things got interesting.

I missed my christmas brew this year (usually a few adjustments on Revvy's Ginger Nut Brown Ale) as i've been too busy at work to plan ahead, and I'm too proud of my all grain setup to brew 2 gallon batches now, so I thought I'd transform a gallon of this. After reading up on what the Americans call a "flaming dr pepper" - half a beer and a shot of amaretto, topped up with a proof liquor and set on fire - I started imagining how I'd put together a beer inspired by this. Here it is...

1 Gallon Belgian Pale Ale. 400g Caster Sugar, caramelized (burnt flavour) and fermented to about 7%. 1 shot amaretto per glass (to be served in the glass.)

1374187_10151910042323608_998723321_n.jpg

Yep that's a lot of sugar, but I think it'll be interesting and it's not obscenely out of style. Once fermented, it'll go away to be cold conditioned ready for christmas suppin'.

Cheers! :mug:

hum, this may be over before it begins.

the gallon i've racked has only just started fermenting with some US-05 I had to repitch. as the yeast was harvested in the first batch and the gallon racked taken from the top, I guess it was pretty unhealthy. damn.

fingers crossed the beer hasn't oxidized, as it was fully fermented when I racked off. I'll check it in a few days and see if it's spoiled!

Back