Flameout hop addition using a plate chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTodd

Reaction score
I got a recipe that calls for adding hops at 0 minutes. From that I've been reading about this flameout addition - it seems mostly to be done with immersion chillers which take a fair amount of time.

If I plan on using a plate chiller - does it even make sense doing the flameout addition or should I instead just do it at 5 minutes or something.

Thanks.

A flameout addition just means that you add the hops when you take the wort off of heat. The contribution is predominately to hop aroma, with a slight addition of hop flavor. A lot of people let the flameout hops steep for 15-20 mins before chilling, and some chill right away. Your method of chilling (i.e. ice bath, immersion, plate) does not matter with regard to this hop addition.

I would keep the hops in a hop bag, hop spider or some other way to filter them before using your plate chiller. I have a plate chiller as well, and even pellet hops with stop up a plate chiller or at the very least leave some hard to clean gunk in there.

Back