Flaky stuff floating in beer upon pouring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
The beer is kegged, are these just yeast flakes? However, would it be possible to usually have these flakes if my beer went through 2 fermenters?

I do not strain my beer BTW when going into the fermenter.

Can you supply a picture? When was the last time you cleaned your beer lines?

The flakes are most likely little chunks of yeast sucked up the racking cane when transferring your beer from fermenter to keg. It happens all the time to me no matter how careful I am. The only way to get rid of them for sure is to filter your beer.

I have some flakes from my keg too.... I dry hopped with pellets... does this look familiar to anyone? Bad technique?
2018-06-23 21.05.43.jpg

Looks like hop debris

Thanks for answering my noob question... I guess it seems pretty obvious. Just a little paranoid about getting sick, this was my first brew (and all grain). I had an issue with interpreting my final gravity via my refractometer and added a extra yeast pack when it was not necessary, opening the fermenter too many times (was worried about contamination, but it smells and tastes fine). I drank a couple pints and feel fine... haven't started vomiting blood yet. ;)

I don't think there is anything that can live in the beer that will make you sick. But that looks like something that had been like a scale on the sides or bottom of part of your equipment that came loose when you transferred. If it is coming out of a keg those should settle to the bottom and the first few glasses may have some of those flakes , after you suck out the sediment, the rest of the keg should be clear.

But that looks like something that had been like a scale on the sides or bottom of part of your equipment that came loose when you transferred.

hmmm.... all of my equipment is brand spank'n new... and I scrubbed and sanitized everything... it seemed to be less of a problem in my second glass, hopefully it will clear up like you said.

I don't think there is anything that can live in the beer that will make you sick.

From what I have read, beer can become contaminated and give you diarrhea... maybe I am wrong. Thanks for the input, I will do some more research.

*Edit: Ok, I guess it will not make you sick according to you and a lot of people on hbt.

Last edited:
Back