Flaked Rice in Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floyd336

Reaction score
I am planning to make a Heineken clone. It calls for 2 # flaked rice for a 5 gallon batch. Do I just soak that at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, or is there a better (but still easy) way to extract the fermentables?

I am planning to make a Heineken clone. It calls for 2 # flaked rice for a 5 gallon batch. Do I just soak that at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, or is there a better (but still easy) way to extract the fermentables?

The flake rice needs to be mashed with some base grain to convert. It alone has no diastatic power and relys on the base malt (2 or 6 row) to convert.

+1 flaked rice would be fine in a partial mash, but you seem to be describing extract with steeping grains. And 180 is a bit hot for that as well.

go for 160 instead of 180. and instant rice from the grocery store is as good as ( and cheaper than ) flaked rice from a lhbs

Back