Flaked oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcody2005

Reaction score
I found a recipie for some beer that uses flaked oats. How and when do i use this ingredient? If i am using it with extract brewing, should i use amilaise?

Primary: Empty
Secondary:Octoberfest lagger
Conditioning:East Coast Porter
Up Next:Gluten free [blue moonish]

O.K. I use and enjoy this site way too much to just "float by". I joined as a gold member!

another question about oats. Can i use off the shelf oatmeal? the reason i ask is because oats and wheat are grown in alternating rows, and during harvesting, whe wheat can contaminate the oats... Unless they are IRISH OATS. these oats are grown in oat exclusive feilds, and are available in the off the shelf oatmeal form at most grocery, health food stores. It is imperative that my next beer does not contain any wheat or barley, as I am making it for my girlfriend whom has Celiac Disease. (she must maintain a gluten free diet)
Thanks for any advice, experience, know-how, ect..

Dude said:
I would just steep it with about a half pound of DME just to make sure it converts.
Cant use DME cause of the gluten. this beer is going to be Sorghum based

Rather than plodding through it myself, here's what Palmer says about oats:

"Oats are available whole, steel-cut (i.e. grits), rolled, and flaked. Rolled and flaked oats have had their starches gelatinized (made soluble) by heat and pressure, and are most readily available as "Instant Oatmeal" in the grocery store. Whole oats and "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" have not had the degree of gelatinization that Instant have had and must be cooked before adding to the mash. "Quick" oatmeal has had a degree of gelatinization but does benefit from being cooked before adding to the mash. Cook according to the directions on the box (but add more water) to ensure that the starches will be fully utilized. Use 0.5-1.5 lb. per 5 gal batch. Oats need to be mashed with barley malt (and its enzymes) for conversion."

Back