Flaked oats question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have brewed with flaked oats a few times generally with about 2lbs in an 11lb grain bill and I have never had any problems.. I recently bought my own grain mill and brewed the other weekend.. I ran the grain through the mill and the flaked oats afterwards (although probably not necessary) any ways my Drain was completely clogged to the point where I couldn't get any wort out of the mash tun.. I ended up having to dump it (insert tears here).. What may have been the difference from the other times to this time? Im going to pick up some rice hulls for the next brew Friday, but I was just curious to hear some thoughts on why my other Brews with the same recipe didn't clogged but this one did?

Also I have brewed another recipe using the same grain Mill with no issues.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to dump it. For the future, get a bag that will fit your brew pot and pour your mash into that, then lift it out. The huge straining area of a paint strainer bag or one of the custom ones from Wilserbrewer will not plug up like your mash tun. You could just do the entire mash in the brew pot if you want as many of us do. We know it as BIAB.

I would have never dumped the mash, gotten the wort out one way or another. 8 oz of rice hulls do help with lautering, always have them on hand. I'm surprised it got stuck with only 15% oats, but they are gluey.

For the record, I do mill all my flaked goods (0.024" gap) for faster gelatinization and conversion. Never had any problems with it and when it does plug up stir in some rice hulls.

No need to dump a stuck mash. Just get creative and find a way to seperate the grains from the wort. I had that happen one time and used a bucket to dump everything in to and then used a colander to strain the wort. It worked fine and made a very good brew. It took a while but was worth it.

Back