"flaked" and head retention ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadarnell

Reaction score
will anything that is flaked add to the head retention of my homebrew? I want to add some flaked rye to a rye pale, along with the regular rye malt ... hoping for more rye flavor ...

the question is, can I drop the carapils I usualy put in pales for head retention? ... will I get head retention from the flaked rye like you do with other stuff that is flaked ???

will anything that is flaked add to the head retention of my homebrew? I want to add some flaked rye to a rye pale, along with the regular rye malt ... hoping for more rye flavor ...

the question is, can I drop the carapils I usualy put in pales for head retention? ... will I get head retention from the flaked rye like you do with other stuff that is flaked ???

It's not the flaking that contributes to foam stability it's the components of the particular grain. Higher protein grains are your best bet, so rye like wheat and barley are good choices. Flaked corn, not so much.

BigEd said:
It's not the flaking that contributes to foam stability it's the components of the particular grain. Higher protein grains are your best bet, so rye like wheat and barley are good choices. Flaked corn, not so much.

I completely agree with this.

thanks so much for that info ... I'm just gonna drop the carapils on this pale since I have a pound of flaked rye in there ... cheers !!

I also wonder if the fact that the flaked grains are unmalted has anything to do with it.

But yeah, it's definitely what the grain is; flaked corn has a lovely flavor and belongs in certain beers (and, in small amounts, not exclusively cream ale), but it doesn't do anything for the head.

Back